Raker profile

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Kenny. Just kind of thinking outloud. Only real way to really track any changes made.
I did a whole series of tests with .325 chain and filing it with different angles and files. Bottom line I got the .325 to cut like 3/8. Only with Stihl and Oregon full chisel. Carlton did not like the same treatment.
I made a whole series of vids with every change. Some were better, some were not...

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Beathable air will be here today. Topping out in the low eighties, finally.

Grinder pics....no not those ones

Attachments

• 20190723_130558.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190723_130713.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20190723_130800.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190723_130558.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190723_130713.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Grinder Ken. Take some before and after pics of the cutters please.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just as shocked as you.
But I have had a couple loops if EXL that were very fast. The loop used in this video was exceptionly slow...

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try to round my rakers or at least angle front to back to help keep the least amount of resistance. The more raker touching the wood the more friction. It does not look like much but multiply x 20 or 30 in a cut and it adds up.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a 35 degree raker would be better than a 5 degree? As long as the leading edge of the raker is lower than the back of the leading tooth, does it really matter if it is rounded over or pointed?

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So a 35 degree raker would be better than a 5 degree? As long as the leading edge of the raker is lower than the back of the leading tooth, does it really matter if it is rounded over or pointed?

The back of the raker should be the last thing hitting the wood as the cutter enters. If I'm really going OCD on a chain I look at the point of the cutter as the top center of a circle and try top match that curve to the raker. That curve changes as the cutter is filed back. I think the cutter hits the wood , starts cutting , then hits the raker. The cutter is higher than the raker.... For that to happen the chain does not stay flat and rocks up and down on each cutter. The force and friction of the cutter hitting and cutting has to have an opposite reaction pulling the raker towards the wood. That action creates an arc. I know deep chit.

Here's Mason's simple description. It does not show the full chain movement though.

To answer your question. I think raker angle/ curve does matter.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The back of the raker should be the last thing hitting the wood as the cutter enters. If I'm really going OCD on a chain I look at the point of the cutter as the top center of a circle and try top match that curve to the raker. That curve changes as the cutter is filed back. I think the cutter hits the wood , starts cutting , then hits the raker. The cutter is higher than the raker.... For that to happen the chain does not stay flat and rocks up and down on each cutter. The force and friction of the cutter hitting and cutting has to have an opposite reaction pulling the raker towards the wood. That action creates an arc. I know deep chit.

Here's Mason's simple description. It does not show the full chain movement though.

To answer your question. I think raker angle/ curve does matter.
Opps forgot to attach.
http://madsens1.com/bnc_how_wks.htm

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An hour or so in the wood will hone and smooth the depth gauge front contours real nice
Willard, I am having a hard time believing that wood, such as the cottonwood, poplar, and basswood that I cut frequently will shape in an hour or so the hardened steel of a chain loop's raker. Please advise.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried them rounded as well as just angled, a rounded raker is more to my liking.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Willard, I am having a hard time believing that wood, such as the cottonwood, poplar, and basswood that I cut frequently will shape in an hour or so the hardened steel of a chain loop's raker. Please advise.
Yeah maybe a hour or so is a little conservative, but from my experiences logging jack pine and spruce the cutting action hones and smooths the fronts in quick time.
Now re read my post I didn't say "shape"...you said that.
I always round the raker's leading corner edge with the file after lowering them. The wood hones them smooth just nicely removing the file marks that are a curse for added friction.