Raker profile

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What raker profile works best? Flat top with a rolled over leading edge or a raker ground on say a 55 degree angle with a lower front and higher towards the tooth. Does one way or the other throw the tooth off when in the cut?

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I set them at 5 degrees for some saws
But firewood cutting I go to 15degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the raker shape plays a big part in the way the toof cuts, ie if you look at stock photos of chains, you will notice the different shape rakers.
It is said that the raker digs into the wood while it’s being pulled along. So a flatter topped raker will dig into the wood less.

I would guess a full chisel chain, with it’s faster cutting would have a more pointy raker than a semi chisel chain.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s clear cut as I say, as with all cutting of wood, there are many types and dry as a bone to sopping wet and frozen.
So what works for somebody may not work for others...

Take a look at this manual of types of chain cutters (lots of pics) you may see the slight difference or bigger differences
https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/chain-info.pdf

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rounded profile. You don't know exactly what part will make contact, and you don't want a sharp point that will dig in, or act like a leverage point (making it act like a taller depth gauge).

JMHO

Philbert

Last edited:

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the way can someone explain to me the logic in those rolled over rakers that look like a mini cutting tooth? I have never found a good way to grind them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mean the Oregon Vanguard / Dolmar 496 chains?

I love them, have a few, all were gifted to me - thank You guys Sondre @SOS Ridgerider & Wayne @Dub11 . :)

They are easy to grind IMHO, small bench grinder works best.
Modifying the raker
DSC01145.JPG DSC01148.JPG

Reshaping the raker
DSC01149.JPG

Cutting off the raker's bent over part will lower the raker making the loop a little more aggressive, this normalize's through a couple sharpening cycles.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By the way can someone explain to me the logic in those rolled over rakers that look like a mini cutting tooth? I have never found a good way to grind them.
They are a reduced kickback design. You are supposed to file the flat area only, along the OEM angles. More info in the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual.

Philbert
Screen shot 2019-06-25 at 7.04.20 PM.png Screen shot 2019-06-25 at 7.00.51 PM.png

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have modified a few and converted them to the HLSupply Archer FastFiler sharpening jig (5.5mm file) - they cut great and hold a good edge in skidded beech and oak logs.

I like 'em! :)

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last year I gave up on this idea that I "invented" five years ago and it was a mistake to give up on it:
Dropping Raker Height.png
It works. Forgive the crude drawing. Most rakers have a curved top, so this method will not change that curvature. But, when you instead flatten the raker triangle straight down, it changes the profile completely.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is there any downside to moving the raker forward like your picture shows. I mean farther from the cutting tooth.

Actually this should be an advantage. The drag is getting farther away from the tooth. This leaves more room for chip on full comp. It does require more to be removed off the top because your moving farther away from the cutter tooth and decreasing the angle of attack. Six degrees or more is the happy place for good bite imo.

Going to try this tonight on a chain. I'm really targeting the hook on my tooth for milling. Two chains with different drags will be a good test. I'll try to keep the six degree lead in angle consistent and see how much of a drag height difference between the two grinds. They may perform different or not.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any downside to moving the raker forward like your picture shows. I mean farther from the cutting tooth.
Not that I have noticed. The idea is to hold onto most of the curvature on the back side of the raker (not shown in the crude drawing). Most of the cross sectional shape is maintained.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last year I gave up on this idea that I "invented" five years ago and it was a mistake to give up on it:
View attachment 191837
It works. Forgive the crude drawing. Most rakers have a curved top, so this method will not change that curvature. But, when you instead flatten the raker triangle straight down, it changes the profile completely.
I've had similar thoughts to this, same basic concept. I've thought about filling the back side of the raker with my flat file. I gave up on trying it because there is a good amount of material that needs to be removed until you're into the ramp of the raker and can start marking it shorter.