Raffle 262 builds

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
2:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, there are 2. One is a full rebuild and port, the other is built, but has an as yet unidentified issue to resolve, and then port.
Cool. I’m going to be building a 262 soon, looking forward to hearing your saws run. Sure seems like the 262 is a hot rod even in stock form.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think torque port work will allow the 262 to pull a 28" with 3/8" full comp, 7 pin rim?

I happened to check something today, and one of my used (lettering worn off) Mac branded 28" bar just needs two holes drilled for oiler and adjustment to fit on a small mount Husky... bar is off of a PM850, which also fits PM610, and such...

I have a couple other ones new in wrap, so drilling this one doesn't sound too stupid... or does it?

So... what do you think?

You know what... think I will just buy a new or lightly used 28" Husky small mount.

Last edited:

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I’m going to be building a 262 soon, looking forward to hearing your saws run. Sure seems like the 262 is a hot rod even in stock form.

To quote my favorite spa operator: "A stock 262 with the KS cylinder and HDA-87 carb cannot be improved much by a normal porting. The Mahle cylinder can yield much larger gains."

So I've followed this advice with both of my 262s and am a happy guy.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To quote my favorite spa operator: "A stock 262 with the KS cylinder and HDA-87 carb cannot be improved much by a normal porting. The Mahle cylinder can yield much larger gains."

I’m just starting to learn about the 262, thanks for sharing that insight. So what’s the difference with the cylinders? I have a KS, doesn’t bother me to leave it alone. No guarantees though...lol

Hope you don’t mind some 262 talk Dan, I’ll shut up when you get to building.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not sure which cylinder mine has...

I just want torque... so if a tiny bit of massaging adds a tiny bit... good. Not looking for an all out race saw. As for cylinders, I have also heard KS's are hard to beat stock, but Mahle's leave some space for improvement.

I figure Dan knows what he's doing... probably going to use a very conservative approach and focus more on port angles than size. There may not be a huge gain, but a little bit certainly won't hurt.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just want torque... so if a tiny bit of massaging adds a tiny bit... good. Not looking for an all out race saw. As for cylinders, I have also heard KS's are hard to beat stock, but Mahle's leave some space for improvement.

I figure Dan knows what he's doing... probably going to use a very conservative approach and focus more on port angles than size. There may not be a huge gain, but a little bit certainly won't hurt.
Torque is where it’s at for me too. I’ll likely do my normal routine of building it stock then go back into it eventually. I have an HDA 120 carb; do you know if the 87 is the better performer? If it’s a substantial improvement for the 262 to run the 87 it won’t hurt my feelings to bolt the 120 onto my 254 for an upgrade and get an 87 for the 262

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Torque is where it’s at for me too. I’ll likely do my normal routine of building it stock then go back into it eventually. I have an HDA 120 carb; do you know if the 87 is the better performer? If it’s a substantial improvement for the 262 to run the 87 it won’t hurt my feelings to bolt the 120 onto my 254 for an upgrade and get an 87 for the 262

From what I've heard, the 87 is the carb to have on these.

Me, I'm not sure what I will have on it.

I would do what you said, 120 carb on 254 and 87 carb on 262.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just one problem...after an intense interneting session I’ve learned the 87 is harder to find than hens teeth. Of course you guys probably already knew that, looks like I’ll be trying the 199 mod.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That sums up my feelings too. I love the way a ported saw jumps when you pull the trigger, and it's great watching chips fly with the rakers dropped a little beyond the recommended setting.

Seeing the 461 race thread is cool, but I don't want to live that close to the edge. Mine will wear a 20" 3/8 bar (since I have one in stock) and spend a lot of time with it buried in oak and ash. Torque feels nice in that application. There is a video from our friend paragonbuilder on YouTube of a 262 he did. If mine runs like that one, I'll be very happy.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sums up my feelings too. I love the way a ported saw jumps when you pull the trigger, and it's great watching chips fly with the rakers dropped a little beyond the recommended setting.

Seeing the 461 race thread is cool, but I don't want to live that close to the edge. Mine will wear a 20" 3/8 bar (since I have one in stock) and spend a lot of time with it buried in oak and ash. Torque feels nice in that application. There is a video from our friend paragonbuilder on YouTube of a 262 he did. If mine runs like that one, I'll be very happy.

The one with the torque port work? Yes, that is how I'd like mine to run as well.

I have also been thinking about a 20" bar as well... probably be a good idea. Plus it takes a 72 DL chain just like the 372... so getting it in .058 gauge will mean interchangeable chains.

If I suddenly find I need more, I will either buy one for either the small mount, or the large mount Husky, or fit the Windsor Speed Tip from the Macs on the small mount Husky.

Last edited: