Raffle 262 builds

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know if I mentioned it, but at the gtg, Ryan’s saw suddenly died. Flywheel slipped. Key is integral, and sheared, so I marked the crank and flywheel, then lapped them with valve grinding compound, cleaned with brake cleaner.
Then I advanced timing just a bit past the mark, and I set the flywheel with a socket over the crank and tap it. Make sure it’s seated and then tighten down the nut.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know if I mentioned it, but at the gtg, Ryan’s saw suddenly died. Flywheel slipped. Key is integral, and sheared, so I marked the crank and flywheel, then lapped them with valve grinding compound, cleaned with brake cleaner.
Then I advanced timing just a bit past the mark, and I set the flywheel with a socket over the crank and tap it. Make sure it’s seated and then tighten down the nut.
Something I do is first tighten the nut, then give the crank a couple good hits using a brass drift much like you would when trying to free up new bearings after assembling the cases. The nut almost always tightens another 1/8 turn, the shock going thought the assembly seats her down nice and tight. I would definitely use your socket method with a busted key though.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yours truly was running the saw when this occurred. The saw could be restarted and would idle but not accelerate. What I didn't realize is the key and slot are there just to lineup the flywheel to the crank. It is the bevel in the crank and flywheel that when you tighten the nut that actually holds it where it belongs on the crank. This I didn't know and I learn something new all the time! By lapping the surfaces Dan made it so it would grab real well and the flywheel will stay put. Ran several cuts after the fix and it was eating the wood like a rabid junkyard dog!

My 262 developed similar behavior and I was thinking carb, but will check for this too. I'm hoping i can remove the nut and visually see if the key and slot are still lined up. I don't know if Randy did a timing advance when he did my saw but will find out. I've got a touch of scoring on my saw so I picked up a meteor piston and expect to be able to clean up the cylinder. My biggest problem is time to get in front of the bench! I plan to rebuild carb too in case that is what lead to it not running well. Even with minor scoring its got decent compression. Last I checked it was around 220 psi compression... Little beast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something I do is first tighten the nut, then give the crank a couple good hits using a brass drift much like you would when trying to free up new bearings after assembling the cases. The nut almost always tightens another 1/8 turn, the shock going thought the assembly seats her down nice and tight. I would definitely use your socket method with a busted key though.

I like that

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, flywheel seating was an issue for me for the first time recently. The 359 I did for PA Dan sheared the flywheel key about 5 minutes into test n tune after porting it. I'm 100% sure I snugged the nut like I have previously done 100 times with no issue... Guess it can happen now and then