Raffle 262 builds

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
8:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I remember -- after changing the inlet on the carb, I was able to tune it and hold a nice 4 cycle at WOT just messing in the driveway. I richened it because it was close to 15k from Minnesota. Got down to like 13500 if I remember right. It seemed good and then the issue at Dan's where it was very hard starting. Mighta been a leak when we tried a carb clean on intake test... Don't remember that part so well. Getting forgetful these days but John's posts jogged memory a bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan,

Those carb screws can certainly be original. The older 262 had just those, panhead screws holding the carb on. I’ve see it many times, and I had thought the same. That’s how they came.

Same deal with some older Stihls, like the West German made 024 Supers. Many pan head screws that were indeed original.

As for the run issue, they slip the flywheel key quite easily. I had it happen to me and it drove me nuts. Quick and easy check it to see where the magnets are lined up with the coil when saw is at TDC.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan,

Why don't you glue a Palm sander to the bottom of your sink. That whale of an ultrasonic cleaner that the wife wont even know about.
Hey Al! How ya doing?
Put a container on the washing machine during spin cycle? Isn't that how Marcy pleasured herself in Uncle Buck?

I'm pretty sure on '91 262 the filter mount intake tube is held to chassis with those large pan head screws flat head screwdriver. Same with top cover screws. I think later on top cover changed to hex head like other models? I've also seen fuel line going through bigger hole with grommet into tank and also small hole with no grommet. I think the one with no grommet stinks less :)

Not to mention oiler upgrade from runs all the time like mine was to clutch driven oiler. Lots of little things with these saws but lot of love too.

See ya.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After the flywheel key / timing is checked may be time to try a different coil. Especially since @Johnmn was wondering about spark color and strength. New / different plug is simple too! Check the coil business card gap too.

Dammit now I'm gonna want that saw back ... I'm excited to see how it does! Owner gonna be psyched.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Al! How ya doing?
Put a container on the washing machine during spin cycle? Isn't that how Marcy pleasured herself in Uncle Buck?

I'm pretty sure on '91 262 the filter mount intake tube is held to chassis with those large pan head screws flat head screwdriver. Same with top cover screws. I think later on top cover changed to hex head like other models? I've also seen fuel line going through bigger hole with grommet into tank and also small hole with no grommet. I think the one with no grommet stinks less :)

Not to mention oiler upgrade from runs all the time like mine was to clutch driven oiler. Lots of little things with these saws but lot of love too.

See ya.

Twas the great outdoors, not uncle buck.
Otherwise, great reference!

Edit, you were correct.
There was also a spin cycle reference in the great outdoors, both great movies!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those carb screws are 100% original. They were used in the entire line from 254XP thru 262XP to include non XP saws. More importantly they are NLA and not just an average M5 screw. Looking forward to hearing this bad boy run.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, does my 262 have a clutch driven on demand oil pump gear, or the one that is pressed to the crankshaft that constantly oils?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
afb189f54c6ff0cc06b85191a9fa1057.jpg

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan,

Those carb screws can certainly be original. The older 262 had just those, panhead screws holding the carb on. I’ve see it many times, and I had thought the same. That’s how they came.

Same deal with some older Stihls, like the West German made 024 Supers. Many pan head screws that were indeed original.

As for the run issue, they slip the flywheel key quite easily. I had it happen to me and it drove me nuts. Quick and easy check it to see where the magnets are lined up with the coil when saw is at TDC.

Good to know! Thanks for the correction, doc.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan,

Why don't you glue a Palm sander to the bottom of your sink. That whale of an ultrasonic cleaner that the wife wont even know about.

[emoji41]
I like it!
Seriously though, Is that all an ultrasonic cleaner is? A shaken bath?

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet!

As for the US cleaner, yes, it is a little motor with a offset weight attached to the motor's shaft, that spins around, and the motor is attached to the bottom of the tub, high frequency vibration of the liquid inside tends to yield good results with cleaning.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet!

As for the US cleaner, yes, it is a little motor with a offset weight attached to the motor's shaft, that spins around, and the motor is attached to the bottom of the tub, high frequency vibration of the liquid inside tends to yield good results with cleaning.

Does it need to be a certain frequency?

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it need to be a certain frequency?

I am not exactly sure about that... I think any reasonably high frequency will work. If it's a big motor that only turns one rpm, that won't work... maybe at least 15,000 rpm?

Maybe look at cycle frequencies on the machine itself?