Raffle 262 builds

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you look on the backside of the wall with ID plate (against the muffler area) you can see two holes where the solid rivets line up. If you have a small drift or punch, you can drive out the rivets and the plate comes off. Careful, those rivets go flying and are easy to lose.

As for the damaged area, I would heat the metal gently with a hot air gun to open up the pores, and spray copious amounts of purple power degreaser on it. Or, put it in a metal paint roller tray from home depot and gently heat the entire solution if you're feeling brave.

A mig/tig welder could probably build up the area first and then you could use a grinder to smooth it out. Or you could just use some metal / steel epoxy / putty. There are all kinds, not sure what would be best, just to smooth out the damage so dirt doesn't get into it. Prime it and paint it. For vintage Husqvarna orange I like Valspar Tractor & Implement HSQVNA ORANGE more than Majic Tractor, Truck & Implement Spray AC Orange. I think I found the cans at Tractor Supply. Valspar also has some Kubota orange that is close.

If all that seems like a lot of work, I would just wipe on some JB Weld and call it a day. Paint is going to wear off no matter what. You just want to seal up the gouges to make it easier to clean later.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you look on the backside of the wall with ID plate (against the muffler area) you can see two holes where the solid rivets line up. If you have a small drift or punch, you can drive out the rivets and the plate comes off. Careful, those rivets go flying and are easy to lose.

As for the damaged area, I would heat the metal gently with a hot air gun to open up the pores, and spray copious amounts of purple power degreaser on it. Or, put it in a metal paint roller tray from home depot and gently heat the entire solution if you're feeling brave.

A mig/tig welder could probably build up the area first and then you could use a grinder to smooth it out. Or you could just use some metal / steel epoxy / putty. There are all kinds, not sure what would be best, just to smooth out the damage so dirt doesn't get into it. Prime it and paint it. For vintage Husqvarna orange I like Valspar Tractor & Implement HSQVNA ORANGE more than Majic Tractor, Truck & Implement Spray AC Orange. I think I found the cans at Tractor Supply. Valspar also has some Kubota orange that is close.

If all that seems like a lot of work, I would just wipe on some JB Weld and call it a day. Paint is going to wear off no matter what. You just want to seal up the gouges to make it easier to clean later.

Thanks Fred!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got that case half soaking in the ultrasonic.
Here is Ryan’s saw
5f8d70a2ebf06280ac1b9d57ffc75fa3.jpg

It wouldn’t run right for Eric, so I’m going to check pressure/vac first.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gorilla tape over the exhaust and bolt the muffler back up
622fc651f79ef91c2f661cf0bd01f78d.jpg
31d3bbf4e64f581955565987c32181e0.jpg
ill do the same on the intake but these are not original screws...
1e9777681fa11eecb85ec994253a02fc.jpg
carb to boot gasket is new, but boot to cylinder gasket is old and hard and brittle.
690908d5d666ed69f63eed1a887a0b5b.jpg

So possible leak right there...

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On saws with no impulse, I pull the shrader valve out of my compression tester and hook my mityvac to it
b1820edfe26c84b94c5cdb9f3be6996f.jpg

I let it sit a min with pressure than slowly pull the engine over and see if it stabilizes.
Pressure test is good this time!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the jug, was this scored at some point?
Ring stuck?

Yup, there is a thread on it here somewhere, can’t remember what all was done. Eric @malk315 bought it, then donated it to the raffle. He brought it here and couldn’t keep it running. It has compression, so I’m guessing either that intake gasket was leaking, or the transfer never got cleaned completely.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, there is a thread on it here somewhere, can’t remember what all was done. Eric @malk315 bought it, then donated it to the raffle. He brought it here and couldn’t keep it running. It has compression, so I’m guessing either that intake gasket was leaking, or the transfer never got cleaned completely.

Saw came from @Johnmn he had done a few things to it. Wonder if the carb needs some work given compression is good, and vac good and such. I think once it's dialed in she will be a little beast.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw came from @Johnmn he had done a few things to it. Wonder if the carb needs some work given compression is good, and vac good and such. I think once it's dialed in she will be a little beast.

It will, but piston is starting to scuff already...

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New seals,fuel line, filter, meteor piston, squish .019 without gasket, the cylinder plating peeled a touch on the clutch side of the exhaust when cleaning up transfer but it sure seamed good. I rebuilt the carb twice because I couldn't get it to run. I thought I was seeing blue spark and thought it needed a new coil maybe. That's when @malk315 got it. I know he did a little carb work. I think he replaced the white plastic fuel inlet. That's the last I heard. Oh I did widen the exhaust a touch and cleaned up the lowers a little.If I think ok more I'll let you know

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New seals,fuel line, filter, meteor piston, squish .019 without gasket, the cylinder plating peeled a touch on the clutch side of the exhaust when cleaning up transfer but it sure seamed good. I rebuilt the carb twice because I couldn't get it to run. I thought I was seeing blue spark and thought it needed a new coil maybe. That's when @malk315 got it. I know he did a little carb work. I think he replaced the white plastic fuel inlet. That's the last I heard. Oh I did widen the exhaust a touch and cleaned up the lowers a little.If I think ok more I'll let you know

Ok, great!
So you never ran it?
I know eric had it running briefly, here at my shop. But not long enough to tune it.
This helps!
Thanks [emoji41]

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope it would just fire die! Fire maybe run 5 seconds die then it wouldn't want to fire