av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are emission related parts guaranteed on saws when presented by someone other than the original purchaser?
Thanks

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you referring to mtronic related parts?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To my knowledge, the guarantee of any product that is sold applies only to the original purchaser. Once sold again from the purchaser to a new buyer, the guarantee no longer applies to the product that was originally sold.

In other words, the grarantee does not automatically transfer to the new owner. A separate agreement would have to be made between the new buyer and the origional seller.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that sucks!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Occasionally there are pass-through warranty agreements that allow the next owner to obtain the benefits of the original guarantee before it expires, but those are rare and I doubt seriously that Stihl dealers distribute those with their purchases.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right out of the MS201TC-M Owners Manual:
English
If you have any questions regarding your warranty rights and responsibilities, please contact a STIHL customer service representative at 1-800-467- 8445 or you can write to
STIHL Inc.,
536 Viking Drive, P.O. Box 2015, Virginia Beach, VA 23450-2015
www.stihlusa.com
Coverage by STIHL Incorporated
STIHL Incorporated warrants to the ultimate purchaser and each subsequent purchaser that your small off-road equipment engine will be designed, built and equipped, at the time of sale, to meet all applicable emissions regulations. STIHL Incorporated also warrants to the initial purchaser and each subsequent purchaser that your engine is free from defects in materials and workmanship which cause the engine to fail to conform with applicable emissions regulations for a period of two years.
Warranty Period
The warranty period will begin on the date the utility equipment engine is purchased by the initial purchaser. Product registration is recommended, so that STIHL has a means to contact you if there ever is a need to communicate repair or recall information about your product, but it is not required in order to obtain warranty service.
If any emission-related part on your engine is defective, the part will be replaced by STIHL Incorporated at no cost to the owner. Any warranted part which is not scheduled for replacement as required maintenance, or which is
scheduled only for regular inspection to the effect of "repair or replace as necessary" will be warranted for the warranty period. Any warranted part which is scheduled for replacement as required maintenance will be warranted for the period of time up to the first scheduled replacement point for that part.
Diagnosis
You, as the owner, shall not be charged for diagnostic labor which leads to the determination that a warranted emissions part is defective. However, if you claim warranty for an emissions component and the machine is tested as non-defective, STIHL Incorporated will charge you for the cost of the emission test. Mechanical diagnostic work will be performed at an authorized STIHL servicing dealer. Emission test may be performed either at STIHL Incorporated or at any independent test laboratory.
Warranty Work
STIHL Incorporated shall remedy warranty defects at any authorized STIHL servicing dealer or warranty station. Any such work shall be free of charge to the owner if it is determined that an emissions warranted part is defective.
Any manufacturer-approved or equivalent replacement part may be used for any warranty maintenance or repairs on emission-related parts and must be provided without charge to the owner. STIHL Incorporated is liable for damages to other engine components caused by the failure of a warranted part still under warranty.
The following list specifically defines the emission-related warranted parts:
– Air Filter
– Carburetor (if applicable)
– Fuel Pump
– Choke (Cold Start Enrichment System) (if applicable)
– Control Linkages
– Intake Manifold
– Magneto or Electronic Ignition System (Ignition Module or Electronic Control Unit)
– Flywheel
– Spark Plug
– Solenoid Valve (if applicable)
– Injection Valve (if applicable)
– Injection Pump (if applicable)
– Throttle Housing (if applicable)
– Cylinder
– Muffler
– Catalytic Converter (if applicable) – Fuel Tank
– Fuel Cap
– Fuel Line
– Fuel Line Fittings
– Clamps
– Fasteners
Where to make a Claim for Warranty Service
Bring the product to any authorized STIHL servicing dealer.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The above works for me.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Is it s lifetime warranty?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most warranties apply to only the original buyer. However, as you posted here, "and each subsequent purchaser" I have to admire that Stihl is willing to do that. So, all you need is a sales receipt from the seller showing that you bought the saw from him and did not acquire it any other way.

It is hard to believe that Stihl would extend the warranty to any stolen merchandise, but nowadays, I suppose that anything is possible. A thief could concoct a fake receipt from a so-called "purchaser" for a dealer to accept. Just MHO.

Last edited:

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it’s a two year warranty, and it doesn’t require any paperwork. However, when a saw is registered the clock starts running. My hope and concern is that the previous owner (s) of my little 201TC MTronic had it registered when he bought it. I’m talking warranty registration. I don’t know, but I’ll bet a dealer can pull up a serial number real quick and determine if there’s any warranty left. Not sure about filtering stolen saws, but their program would flag buyback saws or factory seconds for sure.
Don’t know what to expect if they can’t find when it was registered (if ever). Will just have to see I guess.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The warranty is on the saw not the owner lol , we have repaired many saws that were on the 2nd owner I just punch in the seral # and see if it is still under warranty
That’s the way to put it! I believe it to be as simple as that.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s the way to put it! I believe it to be as simple as that.
Oh it's very simple until your "dealer" service dept decides to run you ragged trying to blame "operator" error....
It's bad fuel....
It wasn't broken in properly ...
Well it's now 6 days beyond the 6 month warranty period...sorry.
You know you tried to start this machine over 500 times?

All "quotes" from the service dept when mtronic saws have imploded.

I now have the proper ammunition to battle with them on the next warranty claim.

Thx.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh it's very simple until your "dealer" service dept decides to run you ragged trying to blame "operator" error....
It's bad fuel....
It wasn't broken in properly ...
Well it's now 6 days beyond the 6 month warranty period...sorry.
You know you tried to start this machine over 500 times?

All "quotes" from the service dept when mtronic saws have imploded.

I now have the proper ammunition to battle with them on the next warranty claim.

Thx.

Well I will just tell you, If it is on the factory side, I will make sure they pay, I even get them to pay some claims that was not Stihls fault. How ever if you come in and shoot me a line of BS you will have a rough road to hoe. Any Stihl mechanic [ tech] worth his salt can tell if a saw was straight gassed or had last years fuel in it. So don't yank their chain tell them the truth and you may be surprised how many will help you.
If you have a dealer that want help you , get another dealer.
I have found that southern dealers are better than northern ones in general.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I will just tell you, If it is on the factory side, I will make sure they pay, I even get them to pay some claims that was not Stihls fault. How ever if you come in and shoot me a line of BS you will have a rough road to hoe. Any Stihl mechanic [ tech] worth his salt can tell if a saw was straight gassed or had last years fuel in it. So don't yank their chain tell them the truth and you may be surprised how many will help you.
If you have a dealer that want help you , get another dealer.
I have found that southern dealers are better than northern ones in general.

I am NOT one to complain about dealers. I like mine...for everything BUT service...all the situations I quoted above were direct responses from the service manager...who now knows Imadick because I "think" im a know it all. I do a bunch of saw repairs for a few local tree service guys who deliver firewood to me. The "last straw" was a brand new 661 that blew up after 2.5 hours of Run time. The Service manager said " this saw was run for 1.2 hours straight"....no chit Sherlock ...its a saw whats it supposed to do take a "Union Break" every 15 minutes ? "We won't warranty this..." I said well why did you sell him the saw without explaining the proper break in procedure ? also please show me where you made him aware that the warranty would be null and void without this "written procedure".... I also requested the computer printout after the repair and I want to inspect ALL the replaced parts. It has not returned from "rebuild" yet after 2 weeks.

I ain't making this up. But that is some real burn my ass stuff. Now knowing that they should have automatically warrantied the repairs its really upsetting me. Im too old to fight dumb.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am NOT one to complain about dealers. I like mine...for everything BUT service...all the situations I quoted above were direct responses from the service manager...who now knows Imadick because I "think" im a know it all. I do a bunch of saw repairs for a few local tree service guys who deliver firewood to me. The "last straw" was a brand new 661 that blew up after 2.5 hours of Run time. The Service manager said " this saw was run for 1.2 hours straight"....no chit Sherlock ...its a saw whats it supposed to do take a "Union Break" every 15 minutes ? "We won't warranty this..." I said well why did you sell him the saw without explaining the proper break in procedure ? also please show me where you made him aware that the warranty would be null and void without this "written procedure".... I also requested the computer printout after the repair and I want to inspect ALL the replaced parts. It has not returned from "rebuild" yet after 2 weeks.

I ain't making this up. But that is some real burn my ass stuff. Now knowing that they should have automatically warrantied the repairs its really upsetting me. Im too old to fight dumb.

I'm glad it worked

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Interesting that several of my logger buddies run MS 660 saws for eight hours in a single day while cutting big cottonwood. They fail once in awhile but usually only after they roll a big log over them or run into them by accident with the skidder.