High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Question about throttle Wire VS Rod

Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I watched a YT vid by Hotsaws101 and he made a comment about an Echo saw having a rod for the "throttle ???" rather than a Dolkita and Hoosky style "wire", but I couldn't make out the word he used after the word throttle...

He first used the term "fly by wire" when referring to the rod vs wire thing. He also said something about rod being better because wire stretches. The word sounded like "throttle shutter" or "shedder", but I'm not sure... Was he just using his own term for "throttle linkage"?

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wheb he said wire, did he mean wire rope, as in a bicycle stlye shifter cable?

Never seen one of those saws so I have no idea how they work. Just musing out loud.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To clarify, I think he said "throttle shutter" when he said Stihl style push rod VS Hoosky/Dolmar style wire. Here's what he says at about 7:05 in the video:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rod system like on an ms201 is plain ridiculous. Vs wire cable in sheath.

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think he is referring to throttle valve, flap, butterfly or disc. Whatever you want to call it. Myself cannot stand his video's.

He clearly is making reference to the rotation puller cam mechanism inside the pinchy portion of the carbureator bore. You know, the dinner plate spinning fuel thing.

It’s pushed and pulled by the trottle lever’s transit shaft cable.

Shibby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Others mentioned it too, a "throttle shutter" is also known as a throttle plate, butterfly valve, or throttle valve. It's the brass colored circle that opens and closes on carburetors. One is for choke, one is for throttle.

The wire stretching is not entirely correct. The wire is metal and stretches so little you wouldn't notice it. What happens is the wire guide, typically a semi-stiff plastic sleeve around the wire, wears out and lets the wire flex side to side (not length wise), which creates slack in the line and reduces effect throttle range. Meaning the beginning of the throttle trigger becomes loose or feels like it's not doing anything until the later half of the trigger travel, and the throttle won't fully open anymore because part of the throttle pull is taking the slack out of the line and not opening the carb.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Others mentioned it too, a "throttle shutter" is also known as a throttle plate, butterfly valve, or throttle valve. It's the brass colored circle that opens and closes on carburetors. One is for choke, one is for throttle.

The wire stretching is not entirely correct. The wire is metal and stretches so little you wouldn't notice it. What happens is the wire guide, typically a semi-stiff plastic sleeve around the wire, wears out and lets the wire flex side to side (not length wise), which creates slack in the line and reduces effect throttle range. Meaning the beginning of the throttle trigger becomes loose or feels like it's not doing anything until the later half of the trigger travel, and the throttle won't fully open anymore because part of the throttle pull is taking the slack out of the line and not opening the carb.

Is that plastic sleeve replaceable?

Shibby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that plastic sleeve replaceable?

Typically the wire/cable and the sleeve come as one because the cable has pins crimped onto the ends to hook into the carb and throttle trigger. So while the answer is "technically yes", in actuality no, the throttle cable and guide sleeve is replaced as one unit.