JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,

I found this site by accident while researching 066 clones. Mostly because I decided to bite the time bullet and repair my own chainsaws. Though a truck mechanic, I have found lawn mowers and chainsaws do not operate exactly as I thought they would ...

I was surprised to see the crankshaft bearings on my Husqvarna 288 were not sealed bearings (one froze up solid and one lost a few ball bearings). So my question is ...

How are the crankshaft bearings and rod bearings lubricated ? Is it just from the gasoline mix?

The other reason for asking is I decided to chance buying a Farmertec clone off of E-Bay already assembled by someone else in the hopes they would do a better job then I would. BUT, I noticed the Farmertec saws require 25:1. Is this because of inferior parts clearance, bearings, available mix oil in China, because the older saws they clone (example 070) required it when it was SAE30 oil, or what?

I was thinking to be on the safe side I would run 25:1 since I plan on using the Farmtec mostly for saw milling, BUT, since I own multiple Husqvarnas (385/288) and Stihl chainsaws and plan on getting a real MS-660/880, I really do not want to mess them up running 25:1 in them. I currently run 40:1 Stihl mix with Stablit (sp?) added.

So, is it a good idea to run the 25:1 they say to run in just the one saw or all of them? Or just stick to the 40:1 with all the saws?

On the Husqvarna they suggest heating the chainsaw halves to 200 degrees C to press in the bearings. I was able to knock one out, but, it looks like I have to press the other out. Should I heat up the case to press it out?

I read the thread about using Loctite 518 on bearings, would you use it on bearings and seals going into a heated case? I am not too sure about installing the seal into a case that is 200 degrees C.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Those bearings are only lubricated by the gas mix.
I recommend 1:32 mix for all saws even those clone saws, use some high quality oil. You will get some answers on this thread with oil recommendations.

Just knock the bearings out of the case.
Install bearings and crankshaft on heated case and seals on cold case.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As soon as the mix hits the hot piston, the gas evaporates and the oil droplets fall out of suspension and lube the bearings and cylinder/piston. I'd find a good oil and run 32:1 in all of it also