Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll never start an outboard clutch again without a clutch cover on a saw. I launched an NLA 262 clutch into the woods (after it exploded into pieces) which took multiple magnets and prayers to Saint Anthony to get back.

I learned my lesson years ago on my 266xp, after repairs were made I was excited to hear it run and didn't bother with the b&c let alone the clutch cover. When it flew off after a good piss rev, it landed at my feet and spun in one spot on the snow and ice for quite a while before it finally lost its momentum and came to a stop. I realized how silly I was for not doing it right in the first place.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still available to buy

https://store.chainsawr.com/collect...er-inflatable-wedge-chainsaw-and-display-1979

20e9111e89438ba33302ddbcdfde2ce5.jpg

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Without taking off the flywheel, you have an A1 on the outside of the transfers, and a W2 down by the base, . Couldnt see what the rest of it said. Its dirty..

I might take off the cylinder this weekend
the easist way to figure out if its an Mahle & KS is to study the numbers close to the plug. Far as I know all Mahles has the M, with small numbers on both sides of the M. Those small numbers is the production date.
Mahle use the same system on their pistons too.

KS doesnt have signs on top of the jug, they had a black or blue etc color dot, if the owner clean the saw very good with chemicals that dot is gone fast.
Ks used to mark their top end around the cylinder foot, most of the times they casted their cylinders with production month & year around the cyl foot.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got to look by the plug tonight to see if I can figure out what kind of cylinder it is. Also, it was a bit pricey, got a 261 clutch cover for it. The ipls are the same for both so it should fit. It fits with the timeline of the saws. The later 262's, 261's, and 1998 254 should share the same clutch cover @Tor R

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's pretty cool. I would like to talk to some of the old-timers and find out if that was really useful in the woods or not.

I heard they worked alright on small timber, on big timber it was iffy. Also, dont use it with a strong wind. Just what I heard mind ya

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the easist way to figure out if its an Mahle & KS is to study the numbers close to the plug. Far as I know all Mahles has the M, with small numbers on both sides of the M. Those small numbers is the production date.
Mahle use the same system on their pistons too.

KS doesnt have signs on top of the jug, they had a black or blue etc color dot, if the owner clean the saw very good with chemicals that dot is gone fast.
Ks used to mark their top end around the cylinder foot, most of the times they casted their cylinders with production month & year around the cyl foot.

Its a Mahle jug

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good evening only just found this thread @trooney I’ve managed to get hold of somebody I thought might have some information about this saw

well turns out he has a complete working model and he is happy to share some photos so hopefully tomorrow I can post them up

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@ajschainsaws thanks for sharing. An absolutely beautiful example of the Nordfeller system. Nice saw. Keep your eyes open for one with a burnt piston and cylinder for me. It just intrigues me to have something that rare.