trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
10:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm, heres the problem. Everytime I fire it up the clutch goes across the room. Just destroyed a clutch bearing. When I turn it over slowly by the starter its turning in the right direction. At first I thought it was spinning backwards, but it seems to be going in the right direction. I hand tightened the crank. What do you guys think? Is this a manifestation of the outboard clutch?

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite and let it sit for a couple days?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just give it a lite blip with a impact and set the chain brake a few times and it will be tight. Problem solved. I had a 441 that the inboard clutch backed off tight and I had to cut off the eclip and washer with a burr to get the drum off. Talk about a PIA.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never experienced this. Given the reverse threads that should tighten when the saw is running I don’t understand how it could even happy unless something is broken on the clutch like suggested above.
Very curious to see what you find.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would say the clutch needs to be tightened to the correct torque before the saw is started as you will get 1-1 rotation of crank,clutch drum and clutch once its centrifugally engaged and then it wont really tighten. It might tend to loosen in ...Deceleration.. if the clutch overtakes the crank rotation.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say the clutch needs to be tightened to the correct torque before the saw is started as you will get 1-1 rotation of crank,clutch drum and clutch once its centrifugally engaged and then it wont really tighten. It might tend to loosen in ...Deceleration.. if the clutch overtakes the crank rotation.
Ah, makes sense thanks. I’ve never hand tightened a clutch then started the saw, I always put a wrench to it with a piston stop in.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting theory. I could se that happening. I already thought about the impact, dont really like doing it that way but in this case its warranted I feel. The chainbrake suggestion is good also. @huskyboy

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, makes sense thanks. I’ve never hand tightened a clutch then started the saw, I always put a wrench to it with a piston stop in.

This one I put rope in and tightened her down good. That usually does it for me. Not this time! Lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah, I watched it shoot across the floor like it had been shot out of a cannon. I just watched it roll in amazment for the second time. Shut the saw off, put it down, went in the house! Lol.
Bar and chain ..on or off ..when it happened ?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have ..overlooked !! :rolleyes:..tightening one now and again , its never fun watching the clutch skipping towards the blue yonder !