Pros and cons of base gakets

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used all kinds. Black rtv if the surfaces are clean works. I had some in a saw for over a year. I tore it back apart to machine it and it held the whole time

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bbk Makita has milled many boards and drank more gallons of fuel than I can remember. 518 that cylinder 3 years ago. No air leaks. 518 is also so easy to use.

A base gasket acting as a cushion would mean the cylinder moves. That's not good.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've put together a bunch of saws.... the majority have gone gasket-less with 518 (or equivalent permatex) for sealer.
I have had only one saw come back with a scored top end. It was a saw I had personally run dozens of tanks of fuel through.
It came back after about two weeks with a tree service.
After a vac/leak test there was a VERY small leak at the exhaust side of the base surface... this saw was also completely covered in a fine dust with a "rocked" chain and an empty oil tank.
Upon cyl. removal the sealer looked "cooked" and "burnt".....
I am leaning toward the fact that the saw was abused and mistreated resulting in overheating which caused the leak....
I don't feel the leak was the cause but rather the effect of the meltdown.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used all kinds. Black rtv if the surfaces are clean works. I had some in a saw for over a year. I tore it back apart to machine it and it held the whole time
I tore down a crapsman 2.3 and ported it :facepalm: last year. Case halves were sealed with silicone from the Poulan factory. Probably......30 years old? Seals and bearings were gone, but there was still a continuous layer of sealant on it

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tore down a crapsman 2.3 and ported it :facepalm: last year. Case halves were sealed with silicone from the Poulan factory. Probably......30 years old? Seals and bearings were gone, but there was still a continuous layer of sealant on it
Yep. This stuff is overthought. A $70k engine is put together with black rtv. We worry about a $400 saw being put together with fancy sealant.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
82180.jpg

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given 2 brand new tubes of motoseal, is it really that bad to clean compared to others? I've never used it

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm tearing apart a saw that had a base leak because the guy that put on the sealer put it on unevenly. There was a clump on one side hardly any on the side that leaked. Its also a Farmertec cylinder which may or may not have anything to do with it. I put a base gasket on it to REDUCE compression because I couldn't even pull the saw over. I know I'm not as strong as I used to be but I don't enjoy pulling my ass off to get a saw started. Not anymore. This was on an 064. If you put it on correctly its fine to use as a base gasket. Got one on my 044 that Has lasted a long time. My 044 is fine pulling over!!!

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given 2 brand new tubes of motoseal, is it really that bad to clean compared to others? I've never used it

It sure doesn't fall off but just needs an extra couple minuted work to tidy up.
Personally I would prefer something that is hard to get off cause that tells me its going to stick and seal better.

It's all I use and I love the stuff.

I have a tube of the black RTV, might give it a try one day

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One extra point, I have a piece of flat timber with a large square of fine emery paper attached to it.
I always use this to make sure the base of the cylinder is nice and flush before I do a gasket delete.

Doesn't need much, just a light sand and check to make sure there are no high spots. Also gives a rougher surface for the sealant to grip

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too. But mines almost gone. Might change it up next time, I dunno
They had it for 7.21 a tube walmart online of all places I've been using it like it alot.