High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Prices for the Pferd and Stihl ‘2 in 1' sharpeners?

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like my pferd and stihl .325 and I have a very small husky one as well.
Been using the 3/8 pferd for a few years,, my go to sharpener.
Matter of fact used the stihl one today. Touched up a near new chain with excellent results.
sheral ya never did say where about on the Sunshine Coast u r.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you point me to the Stihl literature? Thanks.
I just looked at both websites, neither state it has to be full Comp. I will check the literature that came with them tomorrow. I have used it on full comp only, so that is what my opinion is based on. With that said, I like how works. I am decent at hand filing with a Stihl file guide, but these seem to get a better edge. I think it is due to the size of the tool and I can control it better.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like my pferd and stihl .325 and I have a very small husky one as well.
Been using the 3/8 pferd for a few years,, my go to sharpener.
Matter of fact used the stihl one today. Touched up a near new chain with excellent results.
sheral ya never did say where about on the Sunshine Coast u r.
Okeover arm area.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is it Wayne? Never seen one before.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you point me to the Stihl literature? Thanks.
Can't put my finger on these right now: the current catalogs seem sparse on technical information. But I remember reading it in both of their literature: it is a question that comes up periodically. Maybe someone else has these?

Here is some of the technical justification (from Sharpening STIHL Saw Chains):
Sharpening STIHL Saw Chains.png
It shows how the guides rest on the top plates of 2 cutters, and how that supports the depth gauge file at the correct offset height. Without the front cutter, the guide is free to pivot, and may file this much lower. If you are just eyeballing this, you might as well eyeball the heights of the depth gauges, as it can vary with different teeth.

This YouTube video from Pferd (starting around 1:32) shows the same thing in motion:

Here is a vendor comment from TreeStuff.com, which notes that it may also not work with (should say 'some') low kickback chain:
Screen shot 2018-01-26 at 9.46.13 PM.png

Philbert

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can't put my finger on these right now: the current catalogs seem sparse on technical information. But I remember reading it in both of their literature: it is a question that comes up periodically. Maybe someone else has these?

Here is some of the technical justification (from Sharpening STIHL Saw Chains):
View attachment 108985
It shows how the guides rest on the top plates of 2 cutters, and how that supports the depth gauge file at the correct offset height. Without the front cutter, the guide is free to pivot, and may file this much lower. If you are just eyeballing this, you might as well eyeball the heights of the depth gauges, as it can vary with different teeth.

This YouTube video from Pferd (starting around 1:32) shows the same thing in motion:

Here is a vendor comment from TreeStuff.com, which notes that it may also not work with (should say 'some') low kickback chain:
View attachment 108987

Philbert

Definitely makes sense! Thanks for that.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have a home in Kamloops, but its rented for a year to friends, so at my cabin in Tulameen for now.
Left gibsons 20yrs ago was there for 20

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s a special area. Lot of people don’t even know it exists :)
Not any more,, $400k for a beater cabin not on the water here!! I remember when 60k would get a high end place.
Not sure where the money is coming from, but there is no shortage of it here. Last POS place was bought for 190k 18 months ago then they did some minor renos and it just sold for 399k in 6 days,,,,500 sg ft 75 year old log dive with shed.
But still a nice place to be, for now.