High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Prices for the Pferd and Stihl ‘2 in 1' sharpeners?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess you could just make sure that you hold it right and keep pressure on the back guide rail.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought both of mine from Bailey's near Christmas and paid $34.95 each for 3/8 and .325 chains. The Pferd files.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Made the trek to town today and broke down and bought a Stihl ‘2 in 1’ one from the Stihl dealer. $45. Thanks for all the feedback gang.
Groovy, be sure to give us an in depth review once you've had a chance to get the feel of it... Matt

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Will do. Being that the ‘2 in 1’ file requires both hands, (as probably said here already) a vice is likely necessary to do a good job with it. So it will just get used maybe every fifth or so sharpening at best, just to keep everything in line.
Did you try it out on your skip? If so we're you able to get it to balance on one cutter?

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
We tried it in the shop where I purchased the file. It balances fine on one cutter. You just keep the handle parallel to the blade (using the angle/cut/direction of the handle to mimic the 30 degree angle of the cutters) and use the one cutter to balance/ride the file on. Keeping a little pressure on that one cutter, keeps the file flat. I found it quite similar to using a typical file and holder, except that it keeps/cuts the depth gauge at the correct height too. Seemed to work well :)

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We tried it in the shop where I purchased the file. It balances fine on one cutter. You just keep the handle parallel to the blade (using the angle/cut/direction of the handle to mimic the 30 degree angle of the cutters) and use the one cutter to balance/ride the file on. Keeping a little pressure on that one cutter, keeps the file flat. I found it quite similar to using a typical file and holder, except that it keeps/cuts the depth gauge at the correct height too. Seemed to work well :)

Good deal, I assumed that would work,but assuming don't always work out for me. Glad you got what you were looking for. Will check back for the extended review...

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 13/64 Pferd was $42.06 on Amazon. I think the 7/32 may have been cheaper. My Stihl 2n1 was $38.99 at Rural King. I ordered the Pferd before I found them at RK. My dealer doesn't stock them for some reason. I was surprised when the Stihl was cheaper.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some of the Stihl dealers seem to be keeping an eye on prices elsewhere. As an example, yesterday when I picked up the ‘2 in 1’ I asked how much a gallon of the Stihl chain / bar oil was. Turns out it was the same price as I could get Canadian Tire brand chain / bar oil, so I grabbed a gallon of the good stuff ;-)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We tried it in the shop . . . Keeping a little pressure on that one cutter, keeps the file flat . . . keeps/cuts the depth gauge at the correct height too.
Except the depth gauge gauge offset / height is measured in thousandths - I am skeptical that you can maintain constant depth gauge heights by balancing the file holder on the back cutter.

If you are not going to use this feature, the one that the tool is designed around, why not just use the basic file holder and depth gauge tool?

Philbert

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good point. I haven’t figured it out yet, so maybe an experienced user will jump in. The guy in the shop actually had one out and says he uses them to sharpen customers saws that are in for tune ups. He said he really likes the file. A few of the videos I watched on it also seems to suggest it is working well for people. Dunno.

Personally I was getting good results with the Stihl file / holder, but I like new toys. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2 in 1s work well. I just don't use it everytime. I still use my regular sharpening guides in between. Maybe every 4 or 5 sharpenings I use the 2in1.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This seems to be a fairly reliable / informative video. He says it’s for full comp chains only. I haven’t watched all of it. I will have time today to finish up some cutting and will look at the file closer to see what it’s doing on skip chain. Will report back.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should work on full comp chains, both full chisel and semi chisel.
The 2in1 needs to ride on the top plates of the teeth to work.

sheral

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Okay, here’s my non-pro opinion on the 2 in 1. (I live off-grid and heat our home with wood so I do use a saw quite a bit. I also worked with a logging company when I was younger, limbing and bucking, north of Kelowna, BC). My point is I have done a fair bit of sharpening using different tools.

I also called Stihl Canada a few moments ago and spoke with one of their reps about the 2 in 1. He said there is no reason the 2 in 1 (provided it is the correct file for the chain you have) would not work on skip.

Okay, my review, as I gobble down some lunch. I sharpened my chain three times so far today. The mass and size of the 2 in 1 makes it (in my humble opinion) easier to handle, guide and ensure it stays level. So by letting the one metal guide run along the top of the cutter, it did a great job. The depth gauge part of the file is just touching the tops of the depth gauge/raker when I sharpen the chain. I checked the chain with one of my dedicated depth gauges and it verifies the 2 in 1 is accurate in that respect.

So, fwiw, I like it. I was told to take it back to the Stihl shop if I didn’t like it. I like the mass/size of it and that it keeps an eye on the depth gauge/raker for me. Do I need it? No. Would I buy it again? Yes. Not everyone’s cup of tea but as said I like my toys and it works for me. Maybe I am doing something wrong with it, but it’s keeping my chain very sharp and not doing anything weird to any part of the chain.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Pretty much sums it up for me too. They work well. I primarily use full comp chain only, so. It will work fine. [emoji106]

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also called Stihl Canada a few moments ago and spoke with one of their reps about the 2 in 1. He said there is no reason the 2 in 1 (provided it is the correct file for the chain you have) would not work on skip.

Appreciate your review. It is a popular tool. Also not challenging your initial results.

But for an official STIHL representative to state the opposite of what the STIHL and Pferd literature says, is either irresponsible or negligently uninformed.

Philbert