Presets

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lets talk presets. I am wondering if all brands of presets fit all brands of chain drive links. I was taking apart an Oregon .375x.063 skip and putting it back together. I grabbed an Stihl preset and it didn't want to fit without some persuasion. Does drive link thickness have anything to do with it?
Anyone have opinions on quality of presets and tie straps? I have Oregon, Stihl and some odd balls im sure.

Magnus

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In shořt.. No.

The rivets joint diamiter and thickness vary in most models of chains regardless of brand, pitch or guage . Some manuacturers have chain on many brands.
Then add all copies

Most common models is based on the Oregon Super 70/super 20 chains and copies of this.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The Stihl chain I have worked with has a larger pivot bearing on the rivet (and larger bearing hole in the drive link) than Carlton/Oregon Chain. So, you can join Stihl chain with a Carlton/Oregon preset, but the bearing will be undersized for the drive link hole. You cannot join Carlton/Oregon chains with a Stihl preset because it won't physically go together. In the first scenario I just mention, I would never run a Stihl chain with a Carlton/Oregon preset because it places a point load on drive link hole and could easily break it. So, whatever the brand of chain, you just have to make sure the presets have the same rivet size, bearing size, gauge size, pitch, and side plate thickness as the chain being joined. Its just that simple (well, maybe not THAT simple).

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just used a stihl preset in an Oregon chain, same ting

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just shortened a Carleton chain with a Stihl preset. It works but like most have said, it’s tight seeing how Stihl runs a slightly larger hole and bearing. It did cause some drag when flexing the joint but no to the point of binding.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good response RD35

The Stihl chain I have worked with has a larger pivot bearing on the rivet (and larger bearing hole in the drive link) than Carlton/Oregon Chain. So, you can join Stihl chain with a Carlton/Oregon preset, but the bearing will be undersized for the drive link hole. You cannot join Carlton/Oregon chains with a Stihl preset because it won't physically go together. In the first scenario I just mention, I would never run a Stihl chain with a Carlton/Oregon preset because it places a point load on drive link hole and could easily break it. So, whatever the brand of chain, you just have to make sure the presets have the same rivet size, bearing size, gauge size, pitch, and side plate thickness as the chain being joined. Its just that simple (well, maybe not THAT simple).

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This is very interesting information. I have never actually tried to use a Stihl preset on a Carlton. I just assumed after visually comparing them that it wouldn't fit at all....guess I should give it a try to see just what actually happens when forming the rivet heads.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 14ft bit of Carlton 3/8, I only had stihl presets, Ive only milled 10 X 10ft cuts with it the last time I looked it was ok.

I had an Oregon 75 loop, the preset split on one side, boy was I pleased to find it while sharpening and not while cutting . So I replaced it with a 3/8 stihl preset.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was looking throu my pic's and found the chain. If you look closely, it’s the preset, it doesn’t have Oregon stamped in it
F4E35613-0873-47D6-A726-4F62C99C75F8.jpeg

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you tell if that was the preset side or the side plate cover side? It kind of looks like the side plate to me, like you can see the roll of the rivets.
Either way good catch. Only ever broke 1 chain and that was a newer chain cutter link broke at the rivet.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, I thought the same, side plate, as the rivets are different from the rest. Ie the person/riveter did it a bit more different than the others , maybe done a bit to tight ?. It was a while ago, so it’s a bit foggy

And yeh I was happy to find it, when I did/whilst sharpening. Rather than it going ping at 11k while ripping some planks.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good summation plus the chassis height.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I paint my presets after I put a chain together. Helps you find the link to keep an eye on things. 9DF35C7A-502D-43D1-9325-7B887A5579D4.jpeg You can see the orange paint close to the powerhead Just a handy little thing. Got the idea from stihl chain

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wonderin what paint? how long does the paint lasts, guessing you make sure there’s no oil on the preset.
Also makes sharpening easy to know where to start and stop.

Cheers

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant imagine paint would hold up long. I actually have the green Stihl side plates. I use them occasionally. I just mark my first top tooth when sharpening. It is nice to have a color of some sort to work towards as a goal.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The paint lasts a long time. I have random gallons of paint laying around. What I’m using is implement paint from tractor supply. I’d say any oil based paint If you stop and think the sides of your straps don’t touch wood almost ever. I have worn out stihl chain that still are bright yellow. Holds up pretty good. If it’s starts to wear off. Just hit it again. I’ll try to grab a closer picture of one that’s been in use for a while. If the chain is oily I guess you could hit it with carb cleaner or anything really to knock the oil off

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
96E203EE-8335-48DB-8B15-B8A8B0E322A9.jpeg FC350B25-4568-4A7A-AE43-A26ED5354CD7.jpeg Stays on pretty good. I could see re painting once during chain life maybe. The yellow is obviously stihl. That chain got rocked hard bout twice. That’s why it looks so odd. I cut away what I could to save most of my teeth.