Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rakers are doubled up and the tie straps have a bumper too.
Still, the tooth design would suggest a certain degree of volatility if one would utilize the bars tip for bore cutting or limbing.

The PowerSharp system is still new to me, but now that I can run it on a saw to my liking I might use it more often and report back.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd think it couldn't be too aggressive for kickback liability reasons knowing it seems geared toward inexperienced users.
It has the low-kickback bumper drive links, and dual depth gauges, to reduce the risk of kickback. But the pointed corner and the cutter angles bite aggressively into wood, especially softwood, like a full chisel chain with a lot of hook.

Philbert

Screen shot 2017-01-09 at 8.14.38 PM.png
Powersharp Illustration.jpg
P3121662.jpg
P3171246.jpg

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"? Does it come on a roll to? Is there a skip version :aplastao:? just kidding

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"? Does it come on a roll to?
They were only selling it in fixed length loops, because the unique cutters, and the dual depth gauges, don't easily fit into the standard spinner / breakers. Could still do it with a bit of care.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beware PowerSharp Clones!!!!

PowerSharp clone 2.png

Seen on eBay. Oregon confirms that it is a clone / copy / counterfeit.

It is OK to like or not like the PowerSharp system, but do not base your opinion on these knock-offs.

Caveat Emptor!

Philbert

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was in Home Depot today picking up some trimmer line and walked by the saw chain display

It is staggering seeing the dozens and dozens of different chains (really just different packages) and thinking about being a NON saw savvy consumer trying to buy a chain based on looking for your saw brand, model, etc (if you even know that info) on the back of a clamshell instead of knowing pitch, gauge, driver count, etc

It is also mind boggling wondering how many of those chains will get used, abused, and simply tossed aside rather than sharpened

Then you think about the guy down the street blowing his chops about how a particular saw brand SUCKS and how his lasted half a cord of wood before it roached for NO REASON AT ALL...

Hmmmmm...

Dull chain maybe?

Kind of a roundabout way of saying I can totally see the Power Sharp being a good thing for the masses as well as a tractor/ATV/sled/magic carpet saw as mentioned above

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I help a lot of people in the aisles of home centers picking chain. Pretty much size; not a lot of brand / type choice.

It is why Oregon uses the letter / number codes; e.g. 'S56'. Also why a lot of people just go to their dealers.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I help a lot of people in the aisles of home centers picking chain. Pretty much size; not a lot of brand / type choice.

It is why Oregon uses the letter / number codes; e.g. 'S56'. Also why a lot of people just go to their dealers.

Philbert

Well I am glad there is some kind of method involved

It was daunting to me just walking by

And good on you for helping others

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PowerSharp End Of Life Condition

I like the PowerSharp chain system. It works best in softer wood, cutting surprisingly aggressive. The current version was only offered in 3/8 low profile pitch, which fits a limited range of saws. It is very convenient. But, like any chain, each loop reaches an 'end-of-life' condition, where it no longer cuts. I took a closer look at one loop, when it reached that point, to see why.

IMG_1815.jpg

Looking at the used loop, in front of a new one, it is easy to see the wear on the cutter, but it looks like it still has useful cutting life left. For reference, the gold link at the left in this photo is the diamond dressing link that conditions the sharpening stone.

IMG_1812.jpg

The wear in the sharpening stone is also clear. Each chain loop is supposed to be matched to a unique sharpening stone to maintain uniform wear patterns. So the stone pictured was used exclusively for the chain shown: they are replaced as a set.

Screen shot 2021-08-17 at 12.33.16 PM.png

On closer inspection, it becomes clear how much lower the cutters are on the worn chain, compared to the new one (I tried to emphasize this with the lines): a lot of metal has been removed (I did not track the specific amount of use, or compare this chain's life to the life of a conventional chain).

Could I manually file / grind down each set of depth gauges, along with the top of each cutter? Could I somehow shim the sharpening stone down a few thousandths to grind a bit more? Perhaps. But I would likely also have to remove the diamond dresser links. And that is getting to be a lot of work for a system based on convenience!

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with PowerSharp was a complete fail.
To make thing worse I paid for the system more than what I have in my same pitch/length Stihl carbide tipped loop for the same saw and that one is still going strong.

I must point out that I may have had a negative experience do to the wood I cut, bucking dirty hardwood logs is apparently NOT what PowerSharp has been made for.
For me PowerSharp did not perform well going through dirty bark of skidded firewood logs, a regular semi chisel chain outperformed and outlived it hands down.

The system looked very tempting to me, but I am extremely disappointed with it and at the price tag they go for here I am not looking to get a chain/stone replacement.

Just my conclusion on this system.
Your mileage may vary.