PowerSharp Chains

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that the power sharp would be a great idea for the saw that rides on the atv or my cheap little saw in the truck.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the under side of the tooth coated with chrome?
Yes.

I asked an Oregon chain engineer about this and he said that the cutter is plated partway into the gullet (but then I could not find your question to respond earlier!). He also said that the cutting action tends to push this chrome plating against the tooth, as opposed to conventional chain, where the chrome plating on the top of the cutter tends to get abraded away.

Dolmar PS-550 running Oregon PowerSharp]

FYI, Here is a link to the PowerSharp thread on A.S. (sorry, hard to keep these forums straight some times)
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/powersharp.148391/

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not much over there anymore, don't have the time to track two forums.

Much more pages there than here, might have to re-read that thread and use the opportunity to post my videos.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes.

I asked an Oregon chain engineer about this and he said that the cutter is plated partway into the gullet (but then could not find your question!). He also said that the cutting action tends to push this chrome plating against the tooth, as opposed to conventional chain, where the chrome plating on the top of the cutter tends to get abraded away.

FYI, Here is a link to the PowerSharp thread on A.S. (sorry, hard to keep these forums straight some times)
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/powersharp.148391/

Philbert
That "Fish" guy was pretty "keen", wasn't he?

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
He was a huge "Instine"!!!!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, will we start seeing Power Sharp chains at saw races?

Does it run smoother? A .043 1/4 mini version would be fun

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Old' PowerSharp was available up to .404 pitch. 'New' PowerSharp has only been offered in 3/8 low profile. A .325 version was promised, but . . .

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, will we start seeing Power Sharp chains at saw races?

Does it run smoother? A .043 1/4 mini version would be fun
The Oregon PowerSharp is actually quite aggressive.
I haven't sharpened mine yet so I don't know if the loop will stay this aggressive or not.
With the factory grind PowerSharp is a different bucking experience, I had to utilize protective goggles because the chain kept spewing chips up as opposed to just throwing them out and back - this can be seen in the videos.

I’d like to see larger sizes. I’d buy it then to try.

'Old' PowerSharp was available up to .404 pitch. 'New' PowerSharp has only been offered in 3/8 low profile. A .325 version was promised, but . . .

Philbert
Years ago I asked Oregon/Blount about full sized 3/8" PowerSharp, their reply was that they are working on prototypes and that product release was years out.
Maybe it is time to ask again, I still have their original email reply which I could simply forward to show my genuine interest.

I like the results I got yesterday running PowerSharp on my PS-550.
Unfortunately the 14" bar is too short for most of my bucking needs and the PowerSharp does not like to be buried as I feel it pushes itself backward out of the bucking cut. I pushed the saw into the log hard in the oak clip above, but the saw still moved back out of the log.

There was an question regarding how PowerSharp behaves boring (either here or on AS), I did not test it yesterday but I have the feeling that PowerSharp would be less than optimal for boring, maybe even very aggressive.
This is only a guestimation and will have to be tested!

The bar I converted was in bad condition, bent, worn and pinched (came like this with my Sachs-Dolmar 108).
In addition to converting the bars tail from A041 to K095 I had to grind out the pinched sections, dress and deburr the rails, deepen the groove at the tail end.
The bar is still bent, and the tip sprocket is a little rough turning, but I consider the test a success so it was worth all the invested time which was most of Saturday yesterday.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd really like to try full sized 3/8".

I already came to the conclusion that I like Stihl Picco Duro 3 carbide chain on my small saws the most.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oregon had sent me the powernow with the chain and the chain set up for a little saw years back.

Thread http://chainsawrepair.createaforum....regon-powernow-battery-powered-trim-chainsaw/

and here http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/oregon-powersharp/

IMO good for a guy that cant sharpen a chain or a guy clearing fence rows etc and just want to keep going.
Why I say this. I cut a brick about a 1/2" deep then hit it for resharpen. I was able to finish the cut.
Sure wouldnt been able to do that with a regular chain without some down time refiling it.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
compared to a carlton lp

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
then my favorite picco chain

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, too many guys tried to replicate the cutting-the-cinderblock-test, then complained about the limited cutting life of the chain!

I like it. I'be used it. I bought a lot of it cheap on closeout, because people did not understand it, and did not buy it. Works better if you cut wood instead of bricks.

Philbert

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd think it couldn't be too aggressive for kickback liability reasons knowing it seems geared toward inexperienced users.