powder coat ?

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do you powder coat your own saw parts or send them to a pro. and what pro you send em to.or where you get your powder coat supplies?

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will ask the stupid question! Why powder coat?

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cause it's a heck of a lot tougher then paint.
those epoxy based paints are pretty strong.

back when I did a lot of reloading and casting my own bullets I used to powder coat the lead bullets as it's strong enough to stay on the bullet going down the rifling and so was spray can epoxy paint i tired just used powder coat because it was easier for coating bullets.

TINYHULK

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
those epoxy based paints are pretty strong.

back when I did a lot of reloading and casting my own bullets I used to powder coat the lead bullets as it's strong enough to stay on the bullet going down the rifling and so was spray can epoxy paint i tired just used powder coat because it was easier for coating bullets.
With all the time you spend on prepping the surfaces and applying a clean coat plus the cost of materials. Sending them to glock37 is a much better option. ESPECIALLY for case halves and anything magnesium. The magnesium corrodes when exposed to the air and if I’m tearing a saw down to the case halves I want it done right and to last a long time. Just got a 440 and 460 case back from Glock last week. I can fix almost anything and I would rather pay for his work then fight with doing it myself.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the time you spend on prepping the surfaces and applying a clean coat plus the cost of materials. Sending them to glock37 is a much better option. ESPECIALLY for case halves and anything magnesium. The magnesium corrodes when exposed to the air and if I’m tearing a saw down to the case halves I want it done right and to last a long time. Just got a 440 and 460 case back from Glock last week. I can fix almost anything and I would rather pay for his work then fight with doing it myself.
I wasn't recommending one or the other just saying that there is paint out there just as strong as powder coating. I agree if I was doing a full tear down sending them off to someone would be the way to go but If I just needed the clutch cover or recoil done I'd do it myself with epoxy paint.