Post your Firewood Stacking Method

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to stack wood as shown above. However, I am now getting delivery orders faster than I can stack the wood. I split the driest wood that I can find and load the truck at the same time. Out it goes the next day or sometimes the same day. Gasp!

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dislike stacking. Never enjoyed it. Hate handling it more then needed.

For last ten years, been stacking wood on racks I made from old heavy duty shipping pallets. Pallet bottoms are made up with 4x4's and 2x6's real heavy duty. Like this. Had eight of these on my property for firewood.

IMG_20180627_183157.jpg

Few months ago I picked up a few dozen of these ag totes.

Really enjoying using them. No more stacking, park two totes by my splitter, split... chuck.... split.... chuck.... repeat.

Timed myself last week, brought home a 8' bed full of firewood. Parked the splitter at the tailgate, one tote on each side of splitter. Bed was empty in 32 minutes, and both totes were heaping full.

Anytime I can save a step, or handle the wood a step less. I'm happy.

IMG_20190317_185814 (2).jpg

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good idea.

Ruff guesstimate, is I will need 25 totes for next winter.

Not sure how many cords that is?

But knowing what my old racks held, and how much of them I burned in a winter, I took some measurements on the totes, did a little math. I think 25 totes full will get me threw a winter.

Just to be safe, I plan to fill 30. See what happens next winter.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those ag totes are UN tank or IBC tanks with the tank removed. Guy at work has started using them because he has forks on his tractor they're 40x44x36-40 so it should be like 1/2 cordish if I did my math right.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of mine are 40x48, and 41 tall. I have 6 of them at are 40x48, and 48 tall.

I have a forklift here, to move them with. My forks are almost 7' long, can grab two totes at a time. Handy.

I left the plastic tanks were I got the totes. Told the guy I did not want to deal with the tanks. He was fine with that.

I got a few last summer just to see how I like them. Went back and got a lot more, after using them. Doubt I will got back to stacking wood ever.

IMG_20180711_195541.jpg

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dislike stacking. Never enjoyed it. Hate handling it more then needed.

For last ten years, been stacking wood on racks I made from old heavy duty shipping pallets. Pallet bottoms are made up with 4x4's and 2x6's real heavy duty. Like this. Had eight of these on my property for firewood.

View attachment 175554

Few months ago I picked up a few dozen of these ag totes.

Really enjoying using them. No more stacking, park two totes by my splitter, split... chuck.... split.... chuck.... repeat.

Timed myself last week, brought home a 8' bed full of firewood. Parked the splitter at the tailgate, one tote on each side of splitter. Bed was empty in 32 minutes, and both totes were heaping full.

Anytime I can save a step, or handle the wood a step less. I'm happy.

View attachment 175556

Looks really good!
I like the idea of getting away from rotting pallets & replacing/rebuilding em.
BTW...where can you guy purchase those AG Totes?

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks really good!
I like the idea of getting away from rotting pallets & replacing/rebuilding em.
BTW...where can you guy purchase those AG Totes?

I didn't pay money for any of mine. Some I got from a fertilizer place, some I got else where. All free for hauling them off.

I see them for sale on craigslist, etc, but I'm to frugal to pay money for them.

Drive around a farm or industrial area, see a pile, stop and ask. Might score some like I did.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't pay money for any of mine. Some I got from a fertilizer place, some I got else where. All free for hauling them off.

I see them for sale on craigslist, etc, but I'm to frugal to pay money for them.

Drive around a farm or industrial area, see a pile, stop and ask. Might score some like I did.
Awesome!
BTW...how difficult is it to wrestle the plastic tanks out?
I have no need for those dudes.
But, I sure do like this idea especially elevated slightly...no hiding/chilling place for the chipmunks, skunks, other vermin! :2guns:

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also hate all the extra handleing to stack a bunch of wood only to unstack to put in th ewood burner.

enhance

It goes from this pile inside to make. atwo week supply in behind the wood furnace.

boelPwD.jpg

My fire wood is cut in December, January, Febuary and a bit in early March.
Lays in the woods till about mid september then hauled to the house.

With all the sap in the root system when cut doesn't take long for the wood to dry out.

:D Al

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Love the idea!
I have no fork lift but I could come up with a simple rear tractor attachment.
Unfortunately in my area these 1000 liter tanks go for insane 100+$ each, used discarded ones - new ones are 150-200$.

I love processing firewood, both bucking with my saws and splitting with my ax - but I hate stacking it and wheeling it into the shed before winter.

I'd love having a bunch of those totes!

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love the idea!
I have no fork lift but I could come up with a simple rear tractor attachment.
Unfortunately in my area these 1000 liter tanks go for insane 100+$ each, used discarded ones - new ones are 150-200$.

I love processing firewood, both bucking with my saws and splitting with my ax - but I hate stacking it and wheeling it into the shed before winter.

I'd love having a bunch of those totes!

My coworker bought his forks on Amazon for like 180 iirc. And they're the good kind that connect to the loader arms in place of the bucket instead of the stupid clamp on one's.