Post up your ported cylinder Artwork

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mc182 3mm collets, ‘spensive little things.
And I’m addicted to the cheap chicom 3mm shank tooling, sick of nikasil beating up on my good stuff.

Was making shims for the 1/8” collet but it still doesn’t hold well enough without really reefing it down and it’s starting to round off the flats.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I’m addicted to the cheap chicom 3mm shank tooling, sick of nikasil beating up on my good stuff.

Was making shims for the 1/8” collet but it still doesn’t hold well enough without really reefing it down and it’s starting to round off the flats.

I figured those would be metric thread? 72TPI is pretty close to 0.35mm pitch.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If your plan works out, I'd help cover your time and costs to have an extra

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured those would be metric thread? 72TPI is pretty close to 0.35mm pitch.

I’d assume metric also but I don’t have a metric gear set for the lathe.
72tpi is so close I can’t discern any difference and seems to work fine.

I made a few out of some random tool steel but not entirely happy with the threads, it really wanted to gall and was difficult to get a smooth finish.
Can chase with a triangle file to some degree but even the really tiny Swiss jobbies still don’t have a sharp enough corner for this small of pitch.
I threaded them in and out of the handpiece a few times before heat treatment to roll them a bit smoother but don’t want to repeat that too many times.

Have a draw full of unlabeled heat treatable steel, need to play around with some different ones.

Fooling with stuff this small challenges my deteriorating eyesight and to use adequate magnification puts my head awfully close to the spinning chuck, lol...

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think those are M8x0.75 or M10x0.75

We had those at work but changed to tools/grinders with an outer nut pressing an independent free floating collet because the type pictured above wore out too fast and had to be replaced too often.

What's the diameter at the threaded end?
Just curious.