Post up your ported cylinder Artwork

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spruced up an old 2165 open port for a local farmer a while back. Mild porting for more mid range, and a gasket delete:

168359613.lQmbpyoV.jpg

(stock oe 365 photo by Mkinslow)

155290629.jyJeAhtK.jpg

155290630.lEnR3jEz.jpg

155300380.jwZ5dWaU.jpg

22" bar in fresh Beech:

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If i remembered correctly he doesn't change timing or time area. He just widens the exhaust port mouth and cleans up casting flash. Calls it a mild port. Ive tried doing it and never could notice any difference in performance in any motor not just saws. Am i alone in that finding?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If i remembered correctly he doesn't change timing or time area. He just widens the exhaust port mouth and cleans up casting flash. Calls it a mild port. Ive tried doing it and never could notice any difference in performance in any motor not just saws. Am i alone in that finding?
I've found its a waste of time on most saws. I take a clay imprint, at times, of the inner port and the outer port. If the outer is already much bigger, opening it just makes more work.

An 036, for instance, has the same size ex gasket as an 064. So Stihl gave a 62cc saw the same outlet as a legendary 85cc saw.

Opening more does little, but the muff needs to be matched anyway.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaning casting flash does help. There is alot of engines out in the world that benifit from port matching. Yamaha 650-701 are major ones. When oem put the sleeves in they dont match up atall and they leave them like that. Very respectable gains can be had by just matching up the sleeve to the jug. Most chainsaws dont have a sleeve but generally do have casting flash in the ports especially the transfers. In my experience the transfers live and die on direction of flow. If you disrupt the flows direction it hurts them bad. Most guys on here are way beyond that information. So that comment is aimed toward the up ans coming tuners. To test take 2 saws same numbers each with a different transfer angle and they will run totally different.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cleaning casting flash does help. There is alot of engines out in the world that benifit from port matching. Yamaha 650-701 are major ones. When oem put the sleeves in they dont match up atall and they leave them like that. Very respectable gains can be had by just matching up the sleeve to the jug. Most chainsaws dont have a sleeve but generally do have casting flash in the ports especially the transfers. In my experience the transfers live and die on direction of flow. If you disrupt the flows direction it hurts them bad. Most guys on here are way beyond that information. So that comment is aimed toward the up ans coming tuners. To test take 2 saws same numbers each with a different transfer angle and they will run totally different.
Pioneer p60/61/62 cylinders are that way with the transfers. I've seen as much as 1/8" lip mismatch. I don't believe they're sleeved, but they have that appearance from the cast.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doesn’t look like you widend or changed timing much?
I'm going to lower the exhaust down to around 100 or so I'm going to widen one mm on each side of the exhaust maybe I'm still tossing that around in my head the intake will be razed and I've already widen it one mm on each side of the port I'm building this one for a big Bare so I'm shooting for more torque than anything.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found its a waste of time on most saws. I take a clay imprint, at times, of the inner port and the outer port. If the outer is already much bigger, opening it just makes more work.

An 036, for instance, has the same size ex gasket as an 064. So Stihl gave a 62cc saw the same outlet as a legendary 85cc saw.

Opening more does little, but the muff needs to be matched anyway.
I opened up the outside of the port of the exhaust quite a bit this one not as much it's just my preference I guess it works for me everything else I do to the ports seam to all work together not saying that it works on all saws but the 660s I've worked over like it not just the clones ether but every one has there own way lol and I do like your style too. :beer-toast1:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work on the transfers a little bit today haven't touched the uppers yet going to wait on those for now but I put in a bridge port on them because the last one took kindly of it so I'd figured this one might to. IMG_20181119_174752.jpg

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20181120_144548.jpg Now I know some of you are going to be going ask what the heck are you doing lol its only jb weld so just going to give a try I know what razing it does but how about just making look like a mako shark mouth. I'm having some fun with this one. Lol:biggrin: