CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Well just sent my Stihl 038Mag & 044 packing a couple days ago for a decent package deal and some extra dough.
My logic went something like this, "Well, that season of heavy saws and monstrous log cutting is over, my little MS 261-c can do 90% of the heavy lifting yada, yada, yada!":rolleyes:
It hasn't' been 3 freaking days and I've already got "sellers remorse!!"
Found two Home Depot deals on the Makita 64cc DCS642120Q for less than $200 each.
I"ll be there 1st thing in the morning!
Thinking wayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead as usual.
After much reading I've decided if I hook up, to upgrade the piston/cylinder...NOT BB.
I'd rather go OEM.
Where can I find the best deal on OEM for this saw and what type adjustments need to be done?
Last, but not least how does a Makita 7900 compare with a great Stihl 044 performance & durability wise?

btw...52mm or 54mm I'm seeing both listed?
Thanks
Reg

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Well just sent my Stihl 038Mag & 044 packing a couple days ago for a decent package deal and some extra dough.
My logic went something like this, "Well, that season of heavy saws and monstrous log cutting is over, my little MS 261-c can do 90% of the heavy lifting yada, yada, yada!":rolleyes:
It hasn't' been 3 freaking days and I've already got "sellers remorse!!"
Found two Home Depot deals on the Makita 64cc DCS642120Q for less than $200 each.
I"ll be there 1st thing in the morning!
Thinking wayyyyyyyyyyyy ahead as usual.
After much reading I've decided if I hook up, to upgrade the piston/cylinder...NOT BB.
I'd rather go OEM.
Where can I find the best deal on OEM for this saw and what type adjustments need to be done?
Last, but not least how does a Makita 7900 compare with a great Stihl 044 performance & durability wise?

btw...52mm or 54mm I'm seeing both listed?
Thanks
Reg

Contact @fordf150
https://www.performanceoutdoorequipment.com/

And 52mm is the 7910 bore.

@huskihl or @Miller Mod Saws or @Stump Shot could tell ya more.

Less than 200 apiece is a killer deal.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, but I got a Makita dealer near me that at least used to, and might still get loads of Echos and other Home Depot equipment mostly in great condition, just strangely missing covers.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell by the model or serial number on a Makita to see if it started life as an HD rental saw?

I picked up a 6401 in pretty good shape with 2 bars and 4 chains for $210. Seller claims he was the original owner of it, but the price seemed almost TOO good of a deal to not be a prior rental.

I'm extremely happy with the saw either way, but if I decide to sell it at some point I want to be as honest with a buyer as I can be.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there any way to tell by the model or serial number on a Makita to see if it started life as an HD rental saw?

I picked up a 6401 in pretty good shape with 2 bars and 4 chains for $210. Seller claims he was the original owner of it, but the price seemed almost TOO good of a deal to not be a prior rental.

I'm extremely happy with the saw either way, but if I decide to sell it at some point I want to be as honest with a buyer as I can be.

Usually the top cover and handle have a number scribbled by hand on it that doesn't come off easily.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just finished this one. It's for sale. I have another that will be getting the same treatment as well.

Put some bark or cookies under your log to catch the bar. It helps during accidents, and allows you to force it through the end without fear of digging a trench.

Yotaismygame

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Put some bark or cookies under your log to catch the bar. It helps during accidents, and allows you to force it through the end without fear of digging a trench.

I don't cut all the way through that way as i get to the last 5 or so cuts there's enough mass holding it still to get every cut I can out of it. I'll then roll the log over and rip the uncut underside to get just a little more cutting out of it.

Yotaismygame

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s good. I’ve bought two saws that were ex rentals one I bought directly from HD. Both were in great shape. The 6421 that I bought from HD was in excellent condition. Top end was clean, made good comp, no major scratches or anything. They even tossed in chaps, hard hat, user manual, new air filter and a new spark plug. The consensus seems to be if it’s a ex rental it’s value diminishes but IMO some of the saws that come from there are smoking deals and better than you’d find anywhere else and it’s past shouldn’t bring the value down. I’m sure most the people who rent those saws need it for minor chainsaw work. If you needed it for a full day or more might as well buy a saw. I’d be much more worried buying bigger saws that someone picked up for a good deal then cleaned up and are flipping. It’s those kind of saws that were most likely used for production and put through the ringer.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Production saw, hobby saw, ex rental saw....it's kinda all the same. It all depends on who had it last. A production saw can end up in the hands of a flipper who refurbishes it proper and sells it. You could have a rental saw that was used by a moron who could have done any number of things to it out of sheer ignorance OR just don't give a fook, and you as the buyer end up with a saw needing as much or possibly more refurbishment than the production saw. It's all about being an informed purchaser. I have no negativity towards HD rental saws. That is where I first started lusting after the Dolkitas.

I for one think the rental saws are a great dealI and would have absolutely no issues with it if it was a prior rental. I was just happy to learn that more than likely the guy who sold it to me wasn't lying to my face. I would have happily bought the saw at that price if it was a prior rental. I just want to know an accurate history so that I can plan ahead for maintenance and/or be as accurate as I can be to whomever might purchase it from me in the future.

Yotaismygame

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like like you’re agreeing with me. I too got my first dolmar saw from HD. But production saws are used all day five days a week until the owner decides to retire it or have it rebuilt. Around here there’s a lot of tired ex faller saws that come on the market, and they are abused. Nobody else uses a saw as much as production fallers. A flipper isn’t someone who rebuilds the saw. I personally want worn out saws to rebuild, nets the most money.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, we definitely agree. Long story short, I'm new to the saw world, as in infant compared to most of you, lol. Cutting downed logs for firewood, occasional storm damage. Not too much opportunity for a novice to run a saw in suburbia.

Automotive tech by schooling, life long tinkerer. No longer turn a wrench for a living, but do it for myself and as a hobby now.

When I am interested in something, I go down the rabbit hole, much to my wife's chagrin. You can pretty much describe me as ADD with OCD. In other words....a perfect mess :goofy:. The current rabbit hole is chainsaws, lol. Thanks to you mofos here, I now have a healthy case of CAD!

I currently want to get my hands on the same types of saws you do. HD rentals and worn out modern production saws to tear down, learn some voodoo magic from the likes of Mastermind, Tree Monkey and the rest, and rebuild them proper.

I'll never be a full time builder or porter, but want to do up a couple saws here and there for fun and have them be at least respectable, not boat anchors.

Sorry for the rambling post......lol

Yotaismygame

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We sound like similar people. Chainsaw are addicting, I started off slow and slowly worked my way into porting. I just recently bought my own lathe and once I learn how to use it I’ll be fully set up to port saws. Currently I outsource the machine work but do everything else. It’s a slippery slope let me tell ya. I haven’t asked around but it seems that most if not all full time porters are retired guys keeping them selves busy and making a little money doing it. I think everyone else does it in their spare time like myself.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We sound like similar people. Chainsaw are addicting, I started off slow and slowly worked my way into porting. I just recently bought my own lathe and once I learn how to use it I’ll be fully set up to port saws. Currently I outsource the machine work but do everything else. It’s a slippery slope let me tell ya. I haven’t asked around but it seems that most if not all full time porters are retired guys keeping them selves busy and making a little money doing it. I think everyone else does it in their spare time like myself.
I don't know if any porters on here are retired. The ones that I've met do it for a living or hobby