High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Porting, You get what you pay for

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
There is some good info in this thread. I think the bottom line is, do your research on who you are sending your saw to. If you find a lot of questionable past issues, then choose someone else. It's your money and your choice.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my point, I'm sure Terry is not a bad guy and he don't want to screw anybody. And he know how to build a good worksaw. But sometimes, he take too much work and he go too fast, and he forget to check a few things.

I have no experience with Terry. And it's obvious the man can build a great saw. But I keep hearing this same story from new people. I know he's been sick and back logged. Maybe he needs to start turning work away when he's too busy so he can make sure the saws that he does are top notch like his reputation is/was.
Sometimes you don't want to say no, but then you cannot perform to your potential while your scrambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Then you can be like me. I was warned in past by folks of a guy. I thought to myself yeah right. Well it only took alittle over 3 years for what I was hearing to surface and turn out to be true.

So just because you are told and warned, you still have to make your own decisions. It could come back to bite you in the azz like it did me by not listening to folks from past experiences.

If the writing is on the wall read it and learn from it. ;)

Tundra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My name on AS is ash man and I'm the owner of the saw in question. I was out of town Weds through Friday night in Charlotte NC at a trade show. I didn't find out about the thread until it was well on its way and never did actually get caught up until late last night. I spent yesterday talking to Terry and Nate about the situation to try to get my ducks in a row before I even posted a response, but figured I better hurry since its already locked on AS as of this morning.

Everything Nate has posted is extremely factual to the best of his knowledge. I wasn't aware of the saws problems and I went to his shop for the first time ever to buy a 6100 and potentially trade him my 2260, because it had issues 3 times and seemed like every 4th or 5th time I'd run the saw something else would go wrong with it. Nate was considering a trade, but wanted to check it out on his software to check its history first. When he did a bunch of error codes poped up. I decided to leave it there for a vac test and if it came back clean Nate would take it on trade for a 6100. Pretty much the exact version Nate indicated. Right before I left for my trade show I talked to Nate and he let me know about the air leaks and that he'd like to fix them and he'd treat me right on the repair bill. Once he tore it down he saw the scoring in the p&c and the rough port ( modification work) and said he might start a thread to see what peoples thoughts were. I told him I didn't want in the middle of it and didn't want anyone mentioned which he agrees on. Nate went out of his way to keep it positive and not mention anyone in particular, but rather get opinions on what actually constitutes port work and what the builder should warranty if anything. I don't believe Nate was trying to be malicious in any way, rather just trying to help out a fellow AS member.

I bought the saw from Terry during his 2013 cyber Monday sale at a very attractive price. I bought the saw from Terry because he has a very good reputation. The saw went back to Terry twice for bearing issues and once for the carb upgrade from el-46 to 48 and each time Terry did the work on his dime. I only paid for shipping. He took care of it and got me a running saw in a timely manner. If I would have contacted Terry again with an issue I'm sure he would have made it right again. Now you can argue the port job all you want. It's not the prettiest or probably the fasted 60cc saw in the world, but I was verry happy with its performance while it was running. The issues the saw had i don't believe were Terry's fault, but rather the bugs in a new model saw. He built me a powerful saw for a great price and even fixed it when he could have told me to pound salt, since I knew the warranty went out the window when I bought a ported saw.

In conclusion what Terry, Nate and I have come up with is this; Terry is sending me a lightly used p&c (would have sent a new one, but won't have one in till sometime in March) and Nate is going to install it so I can avoid $50 shipping bill for freight. Once again Terry is stepping up to make it right and Nate is going above and beyond to help a fellow AS member out. I couldn't be more appreciative to Terry and Nate for helping me out.in this matter. If I had bought the saw from a run of the mill dealer I'd be out of warranty now even if it was stock. Kudos to Terry and Nate once again.

I'd definitely would recommend buying OPE from Terry and Nate. I know I will if I have future needs. I think alot was said and assumed about the parties involved and hopefully this helps finally put this thread to rest. They both are stand up guys and I would personally trust them with future purchases down the road.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
My name on AS is ash man and I'm the owner of the saw in question. I was out of town Weds through Friday night in Charlotte NC at a trade show. I didn't find out about the thread until it was well on its way and never did actually get caught up until late last night. I spent yesterday talking to Terry and Nate about the situation to try to get my ducks in a row before I even posted a response, but figured I better hurry since its already locked on AS as of this morning.

Everything Nate has posted is extremely factual to the best of his knowledge. I wasn't aware of the saws problems and I went to his shop for the first time ever to buy a 6100 and potentially trade him my 2260, because it had issues 3 times and seemed like every 4th or 5th time I'd run the saw something else would go wrong with it. Nate was considering a trade, but wanted to check it out on his software to check its history first. When he did a bunch of error codes poped up. I decided to leave it there for a vac test and if it came back clean Nate would take it on trade for a 6100. Pretty much the exact version Nate indicated. Right before I left for my trade show I talked to Nate and he let me know about the air leaks and that he'd like to fix them and he'd treat me right on the repair bill. Once he tore it down he saw the scoring in the p&c and the rough port ( modification work) and said he might start a thread to see what peoples thoughts were. I told him I didn't want in the middle of it and didn't want anyone mentioned which he agrees on. Nate went out of his way to keep it positive and not mention anyone in particular, but rather get opinions on what actually constitutes port work and what the builder should warranty if anything. I don't believe Nate was trying to be malicious in any way, rather just trying to help out a fellow AS member.

I bought the saw from Terry during his 2013 cyber Monday sale at a very attractive price. I bought the saw from Terry because he has a very good reputation. The saw went back to Terry twice for bearing issues and once for the carb upgrade from el-46 to 48 and each time Terry did the work on his dime. I only paid for shipping. He took care of it and got me a running saw in a timely manner. If I would have contacted Terry again with an issue I'm sure he would have made it right again. Now you can argue the port job all you want. It's not the prettiest or probably the fasted 60cc saw in the world, but I was verry happy with its performance while it was running. The issues the saw had i don't believe were Terry's fault, but rather the bugs in a new model saw. He built me a powerful saw for a great price and even fixed it when he could have told me to pound salt, since I knew the warranty went out the window when I bought a ported saw.

In conclusion what Terry, Nate and I have come up with is this; Terry is sending me a lightly used p&c (would have sent a new one, but won't have one in till sometime in March) and Nate is going to install it so I can avoid $50 shipping bill for freight. Once again Terry is stepping up to make it right and Nate is going above and beyond to help a fellow AS member out. I couldn't be more appreciative to Terry and Nate for helping me out.in this matter. If I had bought the saw from a run of the mill dealer I'd be out of warranty now even if it was stock. Kudos to Terry and Nate once again.

I'd definitely would recommend buying OPE from Terry and Nate. I know I will if I have future needs. I think alot was said and assumed about the parties involved and hopefully this helps finally put this thread to rest. They both are stand up guys and I would personally trust them with future purchases down the road.

Glad the thread wasn't locked! Repped! Well said. Always helps to have both sides of the story.

rjames

The clean beaver gets the wood
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like at the massage parlor, nice to get a happy ending!
:neng2kb:
Oh, and hi Randy@mastermind, Steven@bryanr2, and the rest of you guys.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Nice happy ending like in the massage parlor. See Randy why the community here kept the old girl alive with pictures of Trigger and talk of stuffing bannanas in our butt?

Well......I had no plans to lock it.

I was hoping you fellers would allow it to move down the page though.

Tree Sling'r

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your gonna accept money for work, you had better be prepared to deal with some controversy. I have as has every builder I know of.
I make it right, always have and always will. I've lost money, and I've made money, comes with the territory.

Tundra

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would have loved to have posted it on AS to, but was already locked. Hopefully they will allow it.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag