Porting tools ??

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
YEah thats the plan mate, but the harbour freight drives only seem to come in 110v
I got a Mastercarver flex shaft with funky US plug and 110v motor. I just got a converter box thingie for about $40 and now I can run US stuff. Ideally I should have got the 230v international model but I got CAD and they were on back order. Scarr was helpfull with some questions I had, he knows lots of stuffs about porting tools and flex shaft motors. Having forward/reverse with a foot pedal and bench rpm control with 1/2hp 0<30k rpm was about the best spec system I could find. Mastercarver also uses the same tool coupling so you can run foredom tools even foot pedals etc. My system cost me plenty, it really did with crud dollar, shipping costs etc but I use the tool a lot for stuff not saw related and am happy with what I got. If you want to save money there are good knockoff foredoms on EBay that are cheap! But I have no experience with them. Take Scarr'z advice......he knows these spinny things better than most.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up buying some good hand pieces and ordering a Chinese foredom drive.

I couldn't afford the proper foredom drive at the same time but if the Chinese one dies I will get one for sure

IMG_0705.JPG

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Out of left field maybe, but have you guys used these for wood carving as well with different bits? I build gunstocks too, all old school after they come off the duplicator though with hand chisels and gouges. Something like this with more control may be nice to speed the fitting up as well as to feed the CAD. I've used regular dremel tools for it but there is very limited control and one slip can destroy a costly one of a kind piece of wood.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Out of left field maybe, but have you guys used these for wood carving as well with different bits? I build gunstocks too, all old school after they come off the duplicator though with hand chisels and gouges. Something like this with more control may be nice to speed the fitting up as well as to feed the CAD. I've used regular dremel tools for it but there is very limited control and one slip can destroy a costly one of a kind piece of wood.
The Mastercarver is mainly targeted at wood working applications. Their is a gouging type handpiece you can get for chiseling wood. Most folks buy them for this purpose. Even though the systems are the same ie motor/flex shaft/handpiece the foredom is popular with jewelers and metal work but the mastercarver business is about wood carving. They sell a bunch of carving products on their site. They never mention saw porting but the specs on the unit were the best I could find.

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just found a lathe at auction. 50 years old.

798222fcb4d5e3c6ea6f87a995e4b773.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dragging this back up.
I've been porting some saws and I'm really frustrated with farming out the lathe work. You guys all have nice lathes, but they are big and expensive. Does anybody have recommendations for a small 110v lathe that can cut squish and deck jugs effectively?
Saws don't pay the bills, but they land me in the dog house from time to time, so inexpensive is helpful.
Thanks!

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dragging this back up.
I've been porting some saws and I'm really frustrated with farming out the lathe work. You guys all have nice lathes, but they are big and expensive. Does anybody have recommendations for a small 110v lathe that can cut squish and deck jugs effectively?
Saws don't pay the bills, but they land me in the dog house from time to time, so inexpensive is helpful.
Thanks!
Who do you have do your machine work now?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend. He's an excellent machinist, but he takes a long time. Sometimes months.

And I want to do it myself. It was fine when I was just porting my saws, but now I want to sell some and charge for port work. Keeping it in house also allows me more tinkering options.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A friend. He's an excellent machinist, but he takes a long time. Sometimes months.

And I want to do it myself. It was fine when I was just porting my saws, but now I want to sell some and charge for port work. Keeping it in house also allows me more tinkering options.
There are a few guys on here that could do the machine work for you.