XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Morning, :roto2cafe:

Can someone steer me in the right direction for where to buy porting tools? I've tried searching and haven't come up with anything relevant. I'm just getting started so I don't feel the need to buy top of the line...yet. id be perfectly happy woth used tools if anyone is so inclined. I posted a WTB on here yesterday but haven't had any hits on it so far. It's -25 here today so all I have motivation to do is get my hands on some tools. All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good Morning, :roto2cafe:

Can someone steer me in the right direction for where to buy porting tools? I've tried searching and haven't come up with anything relevant. I'm just getting started so I don't feel the need to buy top of the line...yet. id be perfectly happy woth used tools if anyone is so inclined. I posted a WTB on here yesterday but haven't had any hits on it so far. It's -25 here today so all I have motivation to do is get my hands on some tools. All help is appreciated.

Thanks
I use a Dremel with various bits and I just bought one of those cheap Chinese right angle dental tools by marathon or something like that off of eBay. CC specialty tools has some good stuff but a little pricey but I'm sure it is worth it.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a Dremel with various bits and I just bought one of those cheap Chinese right angle dental tools by marathon or something like that off of eBay. CC specialty tools has some good stuff but a little pricey but I'm sure it is worth it.

Thanks for the info! The right angle tooling is what I'm having the hardest time sourcing. I have a dremel and dropped $80 on various cutter and stone bits yesterday. Man those tungsten carbide bits are spending little boogers. Figured I'd need that type for port matching mufflers and such. Found that the soft material cutters just burn up on steel.

Where do you get cutters tough enough to get through the sleeve for the dental drill?

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
eBay, I've only used the dental tool once and I have a feeling it ain't gonna last much longer, cheap Chinese crap.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
CC specialty is the place for tools from what I gather. You can get a nice set of carbide burrs on eBay for about $15.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a bunch of used dental tools on ebay once. They didn't last, and were a pain to hook to my Foredom.

Ok I hear about using a "foredom" from a lot of the builders on here. Can someone please explain what it is? Brand name? Specialty tool of some sort? Sorry for the ignorance, but if this is one of those "must have" tools then I'd like to know more about it. Thanks for the replies thus far.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so looking at all the recomended tools I have determined that at this point, as a hobbyist, I just can't spend that kind of coin on pro porting equipment...yet. I definitely have a bit of sticker shock right now. Thanks to all of the members who posted up the information for me, but for now I'll stick to what I can do with a dremel.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I buy all of my crap from Rio grande.
Foredome, burrs,handpiece and so on.
I use a cc specialties right angle also.

I turn a bunch of 1/4" burrs down to 1/8" cause I like the bigger burr of the 1/4 and 1/4" are generally cheaper than the smaller burrs.
That's what I do but there's a gillion ways to do it.

Jason.