proverbs

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it’s not a 6100 but I figured a method with my ported 6400 and 7900. I use the tach to tell when it’s bumping the rev limiter then lean it 1/4 turn past the limiter and adjust if needed after that cutting with it. That usually gets me pretty close with them.

That’s pretty much how I ended up where this is at Mason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just went out to the shop to check where it was and I’m 1.5 out. I’ll squeak it in a little bit and try it out in the morning we got to go get some firewood.

I went up and let Steve try it at the shop and made some cuts it was running good and I actually had a good chain on it. I kept worrying that I was going to hit the log in front of it. Lol

Scott took a bunch of logs and pushed them over the bank.

I don't think we adjusted the carb that day did we?

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just went out to the shop to check where it was and I’m 1.5 out. I’ll squeak it in a little bit and try it out in the morning we got to go get some firewood.

I went up and let Steve try it at the shop and made some cuts it was running good and I actually had a good chain on it. I kept worrying that I was going to hit the log in front of it. Lol

nice little performer.
Tnx

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good to me. Elevation difference and stuff....
Good point. I believe you are at 2300’ ASL.

All of my saws tuned here at 60’ ASL ran fat as hell at your place. Saws tune correctly at your place should be leaner at lower elevations and run even betterer.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep.......and that's why I like to ask about elevation. I make em a little fat if they are going downhill.

She was about spot on out of the box boss. I know it’s not broken in yet either.. few more tanks maybe

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, did you ever try some mods to the reed valves to see if you could get them to flow a bit more? I expect a lighter reed would flow a bit more and could lean out that low side richness.

No sir. I never have messed with them.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For what it is worth, although a reed system looks simple, the bloody things have all sorts of crazy tendencies. However, I think the 6100 with the separate piston port could help simplify the reed selection.

A reed system opens and closes allegedly to pressure differential, but that is not entirely correct. They have mass and thus do not respond immediately. At low speeds, the reed timing looks very similar to a rotary valve engine (bloody great!), however at high RPM the reed timing looks more like a piston port engine.

Generally, a thinner reed will be more responsive to small changes in pressure, however, they have a tendency to 'flutter' at higher speeds. That tendency to flutter at higher speeds may not be a significant problem with the 6100 as at high speeds the piston port will be the primary intake timing.

My first impression of what might work on the 6100 is that a lighter reed would help the air flow at lower RPM and 'perhaps' not have much effect at higher RPM.

Reed material has come a long way over the years and there are manufacturers that produce bulk reed material that can be cut to size.

Hopefully, someone will try some experiments with different reeds and find out if there is a bit more power available from the 6100 system. It could be that the factory choose the present reed material from manufacturing and/or longevity considerations. - If the owner had to change the reeds every 500 hours, it would probably not be a significant issue if in return they got a 61cc engine that had the low-end torque of a 70cc engine.

Last edited: