drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed the 199 carb or the el42 may be the ticket here. who knows.

i think everyone here knows that the ny gtg results really took the wind out of my sails, and even though the dyno was really cool and encouraging, yesterday I had another setback. the best possible 372 I could possibly build was sold wednesday, and came back thursday after 10 minutes of running w/ a scored top end. its oem 51.4 P&C....ported. tore it down, can't figure out the cause even after pressure testing and teardown. really discouraging when you do everything right, can't figure out the cause, and still there is a catastrophic failure.

i really need to step away from saws for a while guys... i'm way too frustrated.... i'm not having fun and not making money. :(
Do we know he didn't tune it wrong???

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some great news Matt you have been given two opportunities to learn. You have two choices lean away. Or lean in. You have a bunch of people here to help.

I will share this thought. There is a reason to go into a saw bit by bit. Porting is not one recipe for all saws. The dyno showed you some great info. Don't be discouraged.

I've smoked a saw or two in my day. One was a 372. I learned a lesson about porting for a popup piston. Involving port width and shaping for longevity.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
carb was checked, was not leaned out.

porting was not crazy, fairly standard for xpw cylinder, no popup.

the only thing I can gather is the intake boot / carb screws were slightly loose, possibly contributing to an air leak there.

other than the transfer the bearings seem to be fine, and the saw did vac test 100%.

I ran a gasket, the cylinder bolts were tight.

the gas was blue .... and the gas in the carb was blue. carb flows fuel through it.....

and in case anyone wants to know a piston for a 51.4mm cylinder is $80 shipped. :(

I did the teardown in front of the customer...carefully. he has his $ back ...

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
also for the record, I don't mind learning opportunities... the problem with this was, is that it really seems like I did everything right, and there was still a catastrophe. thats frustrating.....and not something I can really deal with ...or learn from. ya can't learn what you don't know. if there was something obviously wrong here, then I'd learn something for sure, AND i'd make a video to show everyone. zero ambition right now, sorry gents

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
11:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you use electrical tools to torque bolts on chainsaws it may be the first you want to change.
I can only speak for myself, but I have no controls using anything else then my hands and fingers, it take 10 minute longer time but I feel it's worth it, all screws and bolts are mounted in either magnesium or plastic, it take extremely little to fail after my opinion, at least I would failed big time if I used a drill often...

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
carb was checked, was not leaned out.

porting was not crazy, fairly standard for xpw cylinder, no popup.

the only thing I can gather is the intake boot / carb screws were slightly loose, possibly contributing to an air leak there.

other than the transfer the bearings seem to be fine, and the saw did vac test 100%.

I ran a gasket, the cylinder bolts were tight.

the gas was blue .... and the gas in the carb was blue. carb flows fuel through it.....

and in case anyone wants to know a piston for a 51.4mm cylinder is $80 shipped. :(

I did the teardown in front of the customer...carefully. he has his $ back ...
Matt this is really unfortunate! There must be something hiding... What was wrong with the saw when you took it in?

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Describe your vac block off. How do you block off the intake?

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does the plug look like?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
plug is white, was flush cutting a stump, sharp brandy new chain and bar.

I have 3d printed blockoff plates for the intake and exhaust, that and with some bicycle tube they work well. the intake blockoff plate was used in place of the carb, ie, nothing wrong w/ the boot

muffler is opened significantly under the screen

muffler got so hot it turned funny colors

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long hard cuts with a lean saw will kill them
Yep. My 066 video yesterday is proof of that. I cut a couple cookies with it and checked to make sure it was 4 stroking. After noodling it didn't want to shut off. Gotta go extra rich for long extended cuts

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a problem with the plastic ring behind the carb. Caused by my pressure test. I put a piece of material between the carb and boot. It deformed the plastic ring the carb screwed into. Ran fine until the saw got warm. Then it had a air leak. When I took that plastic piece down on the bench it was bowed. Needs to be flat.
Tank vent?
Stumping any chance it was not a full tank and when layed on its side wasn't getting fuel.

Well you said the carb was full so points to air leak.

Did you check the h jet setting? Did they lean it out?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
h jet was set fine best I can tell, pretty sure this guy doesn't own a tuning screwdriver anyway

carb was full of fuel, and did flow fuel

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 372xp xtorq doesn't have this problem...nor does my 385xp....

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 372xp xtorq doesn't have this problem...nor does my 385xp....
It's a fluke Matty! Something is hiding from you. I burned up a jug because the threads were stripped on the h screw of the carb... Sucking air... Didn't take long either...