Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
where's 08f150 when you need him...

actually, if you had the stalker gene David, its not hard to figure out who I am, then who my wife is, and then who her sister is...

then again, it may be a little trickier to figure out who MY sister is

and no.... not close

BGE541

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
@Landmark just took a ported 350 out with a freshly sharpened chain to help a buddy from church drop 2 12-16" alders and after tank 5 I'm convinced of afew things... 1. Break in makes a big difference on the few I've done. 2. They really like an open muffler. 3. They like 18-20 BD. 4. They like a full key of ignition advance. 5. I'm not 100% sure I have them figured out but they sure make a fun cutting saw along the way...

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Landmark just took a ported 350 out with a freshly sharpened chain to help a buddy from church drop 2 12-16" alders and after tank 5 I'm convinced of afew things... 1. Break in makes a big difference on the few I've done. 2. They really like an open muffler. 3. They like 18-20 BD. 4. They like a full key of ignition advance. 5. I'm not 100% sure I have them figured out but they sure make a fun cutting saw along the way...
Thanks for the info. Timing advance is good tip and I will try that too. Sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on them.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, my wife is an only child. I believe it is a 45mm top end. It measured out at about 44.8mm.
One thing I noticed is how much drag the sprocket and bar add to a saw. With a bare crank and flywheel, this saw was incredibly snappy.
Now that the bar and sprocket are mounted, it is a little more tame. You can tell when the chain is getting dull because the rpm drops in the cut just a tad.
It's a good reminder to carry a file.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is all good reading. I have a 353 that i put a 346 top on. The most aggressive I have gotten, i have the cylinder decked and a popup turned. I have kept mostly stock numbers, and haven't widened anything. It's pretty impressive as it is, but I can't help but wonder what I'm leaving on the table. Maybe I should widen the intake and exhaust. If I had a right angle maybe raise the transfers a tad.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After this weekends 350 challenge....

I think compression increase makes quite a bit of difference, as does a muff mod. So I'm not exactly sure how much you left on the table Ben. I know that a stock saw w/ a muffler mod does pretty good. Brad's saw did best in our tests, and although I don't know what his numbers are, he was running a popup, muff mod w/ no screen.

So, you may not exactly need to go back in. My hyway didn't make the power Brad's did, but I'm not going in to monkey with it, because I'm still happy w/ my result. :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad's saw did best in our tests, and although I don't know what his numbers are, he was running a popup, muff mod w/ no screen
Brad's version also run with 357 carb & airfilter system.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad just reported yesterday that he installed that jug on his 346xp chassis. he tried it w/ the 357 intake tract, then the 346xp tract... 8% slower cut time. so yes, the intake apparently makes a difference. who knows what that translates to in HP.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad just reported yesterday that he installed that jug on his 346xp chassis. he tried it w/ the 357 intake tract, then the 346xp tract... 8% slower cut time. so yes, the intake apparently makes a difference. who knows what that translates to in HP.
Like I said before Matt, I think your porting deserves to breathe better! A bigger muffler mod, and maybe the larger carb setup and you may have a different animal!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Matty,

Your Hyway from last year was pulling 200psi. You said it's down to 160. I can see that making the difference right there.

My comp readings go up, not down, after normal use. I think you need to add a caber to the saw and retest it. Maybe keep a log out and do a before and after time.

That much comp loss just doesn't make sense to me and may be your culprit.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if you go this route you may be interested to read through this thread:
http://opeforum.com/threads/how-to-modify-the-zama-el-42.2351/
Also, MM use 346 intake without the ring.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad sent me a message Matt, he says your saws are starving for fuel at high rpm, and you need to raise your granny's to about 15-16 blowdown...
He says you will see a big improvement, maybe try it on one and see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha
I've been questioned about laughing at the Internet to jokes from people I've never met and some I may never meet.

The thing that confounds her is that our bond is taking a dirty tool that cuts done trees and make it cut trees faster?

Yes that's exactly right honey.

I think we are all a little crazy in good company and supported by some tolerant loving women.

I'll look for more pics. Brb

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Indeed the 199 carb or the el42 may be the ticket here. who knows.

i think everyone here knows that the ny gtg results really took the wind out of my sails, and even though the dyno was really cool and encouraging, yesterday I had another setback. the best possible 372 I could possibly build was sold wednesday, and came back thursday after 10 minutes of running w/ a scored top end. its oem 51.4 P&C....ported. tore it down, can't figure out the cause even after pressure testing and teardown. really discouraging when you do everything right, can't figure out the cause, and still there is a catastrophic failure.

i really need to step away from saws for a while guys... i'm way too frustrated.... i'm not having fun and not making money. :(