Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
4:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just think...I spent the last two years doing 350s...

Now I'm facing the reality that the hours of modding may not have good bang for buck.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The biggest breakthrough on a 350 is probably when someone grinds too far on a port wall.:crazylick: There isn't much left after porting.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me and @Tor R are cooking up some ideas for our 350 projects and @rattler going to do some piston work so we will see what we can come up with. Nice looking saw btw.
I am no porter of quality :) my goal with 350 will be based to learn the wheel, widen ports, mm, 357 carb&filter, and make the saw as cheap I can.
I never had in mind to get one 350, getting parts to 346 projects eventually made so I had 80% 350 so I thought, why not :D

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I left a lot on the table with this saw. I didn't lower the jug, I didn't make a popup piston, and I didn't change any timing(if it is needed).
All I did was what most folks would be able to do with basic tools. I can only imagine what the results would be if I did all that too.
I might see if I can pick one up on craigslist for cheap and work it over real good for my personal use.

Tor R- have fun with your build.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 2-3 I'm gonna be porting soon. One will be with an OEM 346 top.

Matty, I have no idea how your saws weren't much faster than a stocker. It makes no sense.

Your 350 wowed everyone last year. You said it lost a bunch of compression, that may be the reason why. I think you need to add cabers to your builds.

It's a head scratcher for sure MattyO. But don't let it get you down. Opening your muffler alone may be the answer.

I still remember trying to stall your 350 in a log and being unable too. I remember your grin too, it crushed an 026 I had done at that time.

To the OP, nice gains. Did you use the 44 or 45mm top end?

I can see advancing the timing helping, and an unlimited coil.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just think...I spent the last two years doing 350s...

Now I'm facing the reality that the hours of modding may not have good bang for buck.
Matt...I have had a few 350's and have run them stock other than a moderate muffler mod , there fairly strong in timber up to 10in. Im personally puzzled like many others how the stock saw can be so close "Regardless" !
Please excuse if this has been asked in the past but...Is the stock saw "Reliably " stock . Can what it actually is be verified ?
I echo what drf255 has said too...All things being as there supposed to be this isn't a "Logical" situation !
Simon

Last edited:

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your 350 wowed everyone last year. You said it lost a bunch of compression, that may be the reason why. I think you need to add cabers to your builds. ......

You can over port a saw. It will run like crazy for a very short time. The rings quickly wear out and the saw falls on its face at that point as compression suffers. Actually seen it more in 346/350 saws than others. Everything is a trade off...ported increases ring wear but makes more power. Now if modded conservatively the acceleration of ring wear in minimal.

Also ive seen lots of people looking for a 350, 346, etc to mod and run a 20" 3/8 setup stongly. Those saws were never intended for that...a port job should push a good saw to great, not add bar length to what it wears.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of good points fellas. Saw #5 has new caber rings as of just before the NY gtg.

Lots of discussion to be had tomorrow. ..or maybe tonight if I can get there.

Chainganger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can over port a saw. It will run like crazy for a very short time. The rings quickly wear out and the saw falls on its face at that point as compression suffers. Actually seen it more in 346/350 saws than others. Everything is a trade off...ported increases ring wear but makes more power. Now if modded conservatively the acceleration of ring wear in minimal.

Also ive seen lots of people looking for a 350, 346, etc to mod and run a 20" 3/8 setup stongly. Those saws were never intended for that...a port job should push a good saw to great, not add bar length to what it wears.

It would make sense that oil choice could be critical on these builds as well as choice of rings.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job on your 350.Its awesome when you can see your own work run. I have a 350 torn apart in a box need to get together has a 346 aftermarket jug and slug with it.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm pretty sure my wife would not appreciate you posting a picture of her sister sorry gentlemen but you'll just have to use your imagination

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
close?

2c7f3e17044375274dbd2cd5b97a0e44.jpg