Ported 2172 RPM

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in June I got some help tuning my 2172 and it seems like everyone agrees that the bottom end can't take much more rpm than 13,500. Has anyone had one tuned to a high rpm and had the bottom end go? I was thinking that if I tuned it like an oe 372 with an unlimited coil, say I ended up around 14,500, then put the limited coil back in there wouldn't be any chance of going over 13,300 when cutting smaller stuff. Could the bottom end take that setup? Mine is set at 13,450 now and runs good but it runs a little better and is still rich at 14,000. I'm sure I could lean it out some more and it might run even better but that saw going to stay where it's at because I want it to last.

Here soon I'll be rebuilding a 2172 and It's going to be ported like the first one I did but was thinking about trying to get the max rpm in the cut with it. Any thoughts on that? There's just not a wealth of information out there on ported xtorq saws. Maybe because they just can't take the abuse but I've yet to find a thread where the bottom end has fail on on a ported one. If anyone knows of such a thread please point it out because I would enjoy reading it.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd just set it where it likes to run.
That's probably whats going to happen to the one I'll be putting together. I don't want the bottom end to fail but it won't be the end of the world if it does.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run mine around 13,800 with a limited 346 coil. It's happy there and pulls like freight train. I think the timing curve built into that coil also makes a difference in how they run.

I'd like to cut a pop up on one to lighten the piston a little bit and see what happens. They can turn into a plug knocker though so it would have to be carefully calculated.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuilding another? Metal cage bearings and X the Xtorq. Fit a OE 50mm cylinder with the single ring piston, HD12 carb and unlimited coil. I find those run the best in general of all the different 372 versions. Oem cylinder kits are pretty affordable at the moment. You already have a Xtorq, what’s the fun in having something exactly the same :).

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuilding another? Metal cage bearings and X the Xtorq. Fit a OE 50mm cylinder with the single ring piston, HD12 carb and unlimited coil. I find those run the best in general of all the different 372 versions. Oem cylinder kits are pretty affordable at the moment. You already have a Xtorq, what’s the fun in having something exactly the same :).
I have a couple of oe ones and only one xtorq. At the moment I'm really liking my 2172 so I'm going to do another so I have a spare.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run mine around 13,800 with a limited 346 coil. It's happy there and pulls like freight train. I think the timing curve built into that coil also makes a difference in how they run.

I'd like to cut a pop up on one to lighten the piston a little bit and see what happens. They can turn into a plug knocker though so it would have to be carefully calculated.
I cut a pop up in 2172 I've got, I think it was around .020, and didn't have any problems with it hitting the plug. I'll be putting a pop up in this one too. Good to know yours hasn't had any problems at 13,800.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That little blue coil I got sounds like a blue pill. I got a couple to build this winter 2065 and a 365.