Poplar

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
6:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep thinking about that Studebaker mobile home hauler you have. Sure wish I had some mad money and time. Lots of time.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have $2400 of mad money? If so, it is yours. I would like to keep the fender on the back but you can have everything in the tool boxes, whatever it may be.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mills pretty fast, widest ones took about 4 min a pass. Stack it and get it dry, after it drys doesn’t seem to rot fast after it’s finished and polyurethaned. Never used outside but we have lots of interior paneling made out of poplar.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably will air dry this for a few months get moisture down and I hope to have my dehydration kiln done by then to finish it up. Sticking it in a kiln right now I think would dry to fast and split it up.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for that over here nobody wants poplar for firewood people are too picky
And fussy there’s always nice timber available Iam new too milling so all these tips are a great help

After the boards are air dried do you put anything on them to preserve them before using them

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No just keep stacked and stickerd under tin till I’m ready to use or sell. Most of our poplar is pretty plain but once and awhile you’ll run across a hybrid like this.

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need a new trailer deck for my 20' goose neck. I talked to a couple band mill guys about cutting me some poplar for the decking and then it is going to be pressure treated at a local treater. He said he would do it for free since I do a lot of business with them. Anyway neither of the band mill guys would give me a price? And one of the guys I would have had to bring a log or logs to cut. So what the heck I'll do it myself.

Everything was going great. Then I got to the center of the log.

View attachment 11536

Two cuts split like that. View attachment 11537

I remembered that one of the band guys said they box out the center of poplar logs and take the fence boards they cut from the outside of the log.

View attachment 11539

The last cuts were better. The wood has been sitting for a couple weeks and the splitting hasn't gotten any worse. Hopefully I can get a usable deck out of these boards.

I've got some white oak and chestnut oak logs that I'm planning to have milled as soon as I can coordinate with my local band mill operator. If you want decking, I could probably mill you whatever you need. I'd give you a great price, especially if you wanted to come up and help out on the day we mill. It would be a win/win situation I think.

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
We use aspen for deck planks here. I sell a fair bit of them. They last better if used green than dry fit does, that’s for sure!