Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The objective here is to figure out a way to get a cylinder head ported, and especially the most difficult part...the upper transfers, for as little $$ as possible. No foredom or cc specialty handpieces, or high end dental equipment. Whats the cheapest we can do it... get good access to upper transfers. Might take a little while, and not be a robust setup...but it works!

what it all comes down to...the missing link..... is how to put a large carbide cutter into a cheap right angle handpiece

here is the vid:

Credit where credit is due ...Walt inspired the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD9l4lTAtiosSJnuxcXxdcg

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The objective here is to figure out a way to get a cylinder head ported, and especially the most difficult part...the upper transfers, for as little $$ as possible. No foredom or cc specialty handpieces, or high end dental equipment. Whats the cheapest we can do it... get good access to upper transfers. Might take a little while, and not be a robust setup...but it works!

what it all comes down to...the missing link..... is how to put a large carbide cutter into a cheap right angle handpiece

here is the vid:

Credit where credit is due ...Walt inspired the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD9l4lTAtiosSJnuxcXxdcg
Good vid I've been asked about those dremel right angles I've never seen one do you know if they are too large to use.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
1:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think this is an interesting thread. Angle grinders are expensive and it's hard to justify buying one unless you're doing it for a living.
I'd like to add my penny to this by showing off this high tech devise I built from very inexpensive equipment... lol
I've used it twice on my own saws and it performed very well.
20170326_191514.jpg
You direct the teeth so it only bites on the in stroke so you don't lift any plating. Pinning the cylinder down and using both hands on the vise grips works the best.
You can also get the bevel with it if you have to.
Here's a pic of an upper done by this method. The bevel was done with a burr bit or it would have been nicer looking.20170326_193913.jpg

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
btw, I still can't believe this worked.... getting that carbide to fit was awesome. there is a whole host of dental lab carbides that can be used here...stones too, etc. lots of goodies as long as they can be fitted to the latch....

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to have decent porting tools years ago - then gave them to my brother when I didn't think I'd ever use them again. When I found myself having to clean up a cylinder decades later, I used to use a small piece of round file brazed on the end of an old screwdriver. The way you use it to clean up the top of the port is to PUSH in with it. NEVER use a file to PULL on the inside of the transfer or you can chip the liner. After a while, you rotate the file by brazing it back onto the screwdriver in a different position.

It takes a while to just clean up the port to get the right surface and angle. To substantially change the port timing, you nip the top of the piston. Definitely transfer porting on the cheap.

For both the intake and exhaust I snap the tang off a chain file and round the end on a grinder. You can then PULL the file across the plating without chipping it. You round the snapped off end as it is common to touch the inside of the cylinder with the file and you don't want to scratch the liner.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, it's a good way to work out the blowdown. After porting the transfers, take the old piston and start trimming the front edge of the piston to lengthen the blowdown. When you go too far, go back to the timing that worked the best and cut that into the jug - then install the new piston.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to have decent porting tools years ago - then gave them to my brother when I didn't think I'd ever use them again. When I found myself having to clean up a cylinder decades later, I used to use a small piece of round file brazed on the end of an old screwdriver. The way you use it to clean up the top of the port is to PUSH in with it. NEVER use a file to PULL on the inside of the transfer or you can chip the liner. After a while, you rotate the file by brazing it back onto the screwdriver in a different position.

It takes a while to just clean up the port to get the right surface and angle. To substantially change the port timing, you nip the top of the piston. Definitely transfer porting on the cheap.

For both the intake and exhaust I snap the tang off a chain file and round the end on a grinder. You can then PULL the file across the plating without chipping it. You round the snapped off end as it is common to touch the inside of the cylinder with the file and you don't want to scratch the liner.

the whole thing w/ a file sounds like a pile of work. ya work with what ya got, no question... but that might take a while hehe

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but that might take a while hehe

Yep, you have to be keen to do it. However, after you get the top part of the port the way you want it, then you can adjust the timing. Admittedly, I'd rather have the right porting tools to do the job, but this is a thread for a 'poor man's porting tools'.

Considering the time spent, most guys would be better off sending the jug to a professional porter with the right tools.