High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Poor husqvarna package of cylinder head....

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the generic response of "call 1-800 ... to get a new head" ... from three different husky reps. When I responded that I'm getting a new head and that wasn't the problem they kicked it up a level and I'm waiting.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a piston and push a ring into the bore until it's sitting on the pecker marks and then look at the gap between the ring and the cylinder wall, on either side of the dings.
OR...
IF you have a junk piston that fits the bore, run it in and press at the dinged area then look for the displaced/rub marks on the piston side.

Now ask yourself... if the lumps stand proud of the cylinder bore, what might that do to the ring(s) and piston wall in a running engine?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice ideas.... thanks. I wouldn't run it without doing some cleanup...your method is certainly a good way to see how much cleanup is needed.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's a fair point Bob...no ducking needed. Bruce is gonna send me fresh. Dunno if I'll get a back rub from husky or not lol
They asked for your name and contact info. I think they want to fly you out to Sweden to meet with the upper level executives!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you talk nicely, you may get an all over rubbing..:risas3:

No really,, I think it’s good to let husky know.. and I recon the reason for those marks is.

When the box is on its side. for the truck and boat rides. That pin is peening on the side wall with all the vibes and bumps.
It’s not bang bang, it’s ting ting ting ;)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any update from Husqvarna on this matter?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All quiet....but I've not felt good this week. Next week I may prod them a but more.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I see this "problem" still has a lot of people worked up, so I checked every OEM top end kit I have in stock here for SWP syndrome. (sliding wrist pin). 25-30 kits in all.

Models are: 372, 372XPW, 272, 288, 357, 562, 550, 55, 365, 372XT, 390, 395, 254, and 262. (the last 2 aren't for sale; don't even ask. :) ) Multiples of a lot of the kits, especially the 372 based kits. Every kit has the wrist pin installed in the piston. Nearly all of the wrist pins are nice and tight and would not move. Only one kit "failed" the shake test and made the "ding, ding, ding" noise. And that particular cylinder shows no signs of damage. (It was one of the five 372XPW kits I have; the other 4 were fine.)

So, is this really a packaging problem, or maybe a small inconsistency in the wrist pins, or maybe even the ID on the piston?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I see this "problem" still has a lot of people worked up, so I checked every OEM top end kit I have in stock here for SWP syndrome. (sliding wrist pin). 25-30 kits in all.

Models are: 372, 372XPW, 272, 288, 357, 562, 550, 55, 365, 372XT, 390, 395, 254, and 262. (the last 2 aren't for sale; don't even ask. :) ) Multiples of a lot of the kits, especially the 372 based kits. Every kit has the wrist pin installed in the piston. Nearly all of the wrist pins are nice and tight and would not move. Only one kit "failed" the shake test and made the "ding, ding, ding" noise. And that particular cylinder shows no signs of damage. (It was one of the five 372XPW kits I have; the other 4 were fine.)

So, is this really a packaging problem, or maybe a small inconsistency in the wrist pins, or maybe even the ID on the piston?

Mayhaps it a Illuminati conspiracy?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Bob I'm sure you've seen all kinds of tolerances between wrist pins and pistons. Some sloppy....some tight.
I'd still contend that while the incidence of swp issues might be low....regardless of the piston being out of spec or not.... the issue could be zero if the wrist pin was packed in wax paper by itself.

Still I appreciate you taking this issue seriously even if husky isn't. There has never been a doubt in my mind that you are one of the most professional people I have ever dealt with and I appreciate it.

New head has been shipped to me and when I get more energy I'll look closer at that.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying it’s the case here, (looks like the pin dented it) but most oem manufacturers box up seconds for replacement parts. Replacement fenders usually were fenders the that had dents it didn’t fit perfect. My Stihl 461 Replacement cylinder that had the wrist pin installed, also had a zip tie through the pin to keep it from dropping into the bore, pretty simple solution! Lol the damaged cylinders must have been shipped on there side, probably wouldn’t have happened if it was shipped vertical

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The wrist pins should come with a rust protection, wax like, coating on them which makes them drag in the pin bore.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I was trying to illustrate by checking my inventory is that occurances like this are quite rare. They've been doing this for DECADES. The narrative that has ensued here to take it up the chain of command and get them to change what some seem to view as a serious problem that must be addressed at all costs is really kind of silly.

Rather, It's really kind of simple. It's a defective part, return it and get another one. That's what you do with busted or incorrect parts. They screw up just like any company. I've seen cylinders with cracked top fins that were likely dropped at some point. If every cylinder was protected in bubble wrap, that wouldn't have happened either. Mis-picks are lot's of fun to deal with. 3 years ago I ordered two 395 fuel tanks. I got two fuel tanks allright; for 1996 lawn tractors. They didn't even want them back. Think we used one to replace a rusted out tank on a small generator. LOL

Matt; hope you're kicking that flu bug and feeling better. If it's the same one going around here, it takes a while to get rid of it.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IF you're going to insert the pin, then the Manufacture should just go ahead pop in both of the damned circlips (not just one of them) after the pin is in the piston.
Honestly..., It's that frigging simple.
Plus you get a little coincidental last QC check of parts fitment.

No need to fool with trying design (and pay for) packaging a loose pin and 2 loose clips if you're not already shipping it as loose separates.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok....got 2 more heads from hlsupply. Both are damaged. 3 in a row. Same issue. The newer 2 aren't as bad....but the damage is still there. The wrist pins are peaning this. Plain and simple. It was a bad idea to package the head like this.

20200122_204436.jpg 20200122_204417.jpg 20200122_204413.jpg