High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Please help me make a few Poulans run again

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So the smaller line by the gas cap is the supply line, and the larger line on the clutch side is the return line. I had it backwards then as far as what I thought they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TIP: the fuel line between carb/ primer needs to be a s short/straight as possible; 1/8" too long can give a start/ die (or no start) condition, as the bend/ offset can pinch just enough to allow primer, but NOT allow free flow to run. The smaller of the two lines is suction, and gets the fuel filter inside the tank

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I sharpened the chain, and realized a cutter is completely missing. No idea how that happens. The fuel leak issue appears to be just what cut4fun had going on on the saw he was working with in his thread. Just leak down from above. I have a spline tool on the way from Amazon. I still need to get a couple spark plugs, fuel line, and some pull rope to finish them all up. Hopefully that's all they'll need. That's just my list so far. I need to watch some videos for a carb tuning refresher course. I got it where it would idle for a few seconds, then it would die. I turned the low screw in a tad and it did better. Then I turned it all the way in to see how many turns out is was, and it all went to hell. The electrical connector "hack" is just that. That's when I got pissed off and ordered the correct tool for the job. Now I wait. I'm pretty happy with my success so far. Once you're used to 60cc's 42 just sounds like a small fan. And omg these cutters are little babies. Like half the size. I LOVE my cs-590! No regrets at all. I shall redeem myself for the 4218 I blew up though!

re: 60cc vs 42cc, is it not amazing to be able to power through a cut from idle Up, versus having to be full bore before touching wood? :) Power does make a diff, LOL

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I gave the 4218 another shot in the small window I had between getting home and it getting dark. It took 4 pulls to start it, that's progress to me. I went out back and made a few cuts. I think I was always way too rich. As I was leaning it out a little it started cutting out like it was hitting a rev limiter, but for a lot longer than a rev limiter would do, and it wasn't revving that high. After a couple more minutes of tinkering I tried to restart it, but forgot to flip the off switch. I thought I flooded it because it wouldn't start even attempt to fire no matter how many times I tried. I brought it back to the garage, took the plug out, and the muffler off. The cylinder and piston look great, maybe too wet, I dunno. Not burnt up, so that's a win. The plug had a nice toasted coconut color to it. I put it all back together and gave it one pull just for the fun of it. It came right back to life. Does that sound like flooding, or a bad coil? Too early to tell? Need more data? That's my thoughts anyway.

TIP: Take off hearing protection until saw starts; I find if I try to start w/ HProtection on, I don't hear the blip and flood. TIP2: A flooded engine should start in 3-4 pulls w/ WOT

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
TIP: Take off hearing protection until saw starts; I find if I try to start w/ HProtection on, I don't hear the blip and flood. TIP2: A flooded engine should start in 3-4 pulls w/ WOT

That's a good tip. Thanks. I was showing the one I have running good to my brother in law yesterday. I fired it up, and it started on the first pull. I was surprised and happy. I was trying to educate him a little so his saw will last longer. He has a 4218 that is having issues. He lives a few hundred miles away or I'd help him with it.