I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somehow someway I talked @Wood Doctor into working up a mulberry tree for the wood. He just put me to shame doing most of the work:coleman: and I highly doubt that he will ever want to work with a lazy city girl again.
Anyway we got 1.5 truck loads of wood out of it. I say 1.5 because Edwin's truck is hardly a truck, more of a toy. :risas3: We did get some nice green wood and now have permission to take down several dead ones for the wood. Going to try my darnedest to get him back in the firewood business again.

Thanks for the help Ed and nice saws:borra2:.

Stephie

Attachments

• 20191019_103009.jpg
    20191019_103009.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20191019_133814.jpg
    20191019_133814.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 20191019_133820.jpg
    20191019_133820.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20191019_135350.jpg
    20191019_135350.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20191019_135419.jpg
    20191019_135419.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was an easy tree drop. The mulberry tree was half of what remained after mother nature blew down the other half. So, it had a huge lean, and I'm not sure what was holding it up. Still, I used my Echo CS-670 with a 28" bar to cut out the wedge and for the final felling cut. The saw performed beautifully and the tree squashed the target I hammered into the ground about 30 feet away.

During the initial bucking cuts I managed to press the long bar against the turf -- a giant no-no. So, I switched over to my Stihl 036, and used it for most of the job. Stephie handled all the ugly branch cuts while I was noodle cutting the big rounds in half for loading. That saved our backs because green mulberry is almost as heavy as oak or locust.

In all, I think we pulled in a cord and a half or so. Her truck holds more than mine does, especially with those side racks. My Frontier was packed tight and groaning all the way home. On a dry day I will split it. Those dry days have been rare lately, and this was one of the best. We had no equipment failures at all. Stephie's "new" Stihl 026 hesitated to start, but once I got it going for her, she used it like a champion and refused to put it down.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was an easy tree drop. The mulberry tree was half of what remained after mother nature blew down the other half. So, it had a huge lean, and I'm not sure what was holding it up. Still, I used my Echo CS-670 with a 28" bar to cut out the wedge and for the final felling cut. The saw performed beautifully and the tree squashed the target I hammered into the ground about 30 feet away.

During the initial bucking cuts I managed to press the long bar against the turf -- a giant no-no. So, I switched over to my Stihl 036, and used it for most of the job. Stephie handled all the ugly branch cuts while I was noodle cutting the big rounds in half for loading. That saved our backs because green mulberry is almost as heavy as oak or locust.

In all, I think we pulled in a cord and a half or so. Her truck holds more than mine does, especially with those side racks. My Frontier was packed tight and groaning all the way home. On a dry day I will split it. Those dry days have been rare lately, and this was one of the best. We had no equipment failures at all. Stephie's "new" Stihl 026 hesitated to start, but once I got it going for her, she used it like a champion and refused to put it down.

Good day had by all. I seem to remember offering my saw to Edwin to use, but was turned down. I have to guess that he felt they are too girlie for someone as experienced as a doctor.
Maybe next time and thanks for the help Ed, nothing like a load of yellow gold.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good day had by all. I seem to remember offering my saw to Edwin to use, but was turned down. I have to guess that he felt they are too girlie for someone as experienced as a doctor.
Maybe next time and thanks for the help Ed, nothing like a load of yellow gold.
My fault for turning down the saw offer. I should have agreed to use at least one of Stephie's saws at one time or another, especially since they would probably have run circles around mine. I actually was a bit afraid that I might damage one of them and would have been unable to restore it. That's a lame excuse, but it's the best I can think of right now. I've actually never damaged a saw that I could not fix.

Our next outing is scheduled for next week. I do hereby promise to at least give Stephie's really nice Husqvarna 365 a trial workout. I believe it's stronger than any Husky that I own.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Split up the mulberry on Saturday 26 Oct.

Attachments

• Load before.jpg
    Load before.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Starting bigger pieces.jpg
    Starting bigger pieces.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 27
  • Almost done.jpg
    Almost done.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Empty.jpg
    Empty.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 24

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple pictures of Edwin's wood out at my friend's place. These were taken back in June so his stacks have grown a lot since then. I know I must drive him crazy. If you look at our truck loads you will see Edwin always stacks his wood and restacks it when unloading and again while splitting. Me, on the other hand, just throw wood and wherever it lands is good enough for me. Plus Edwin also cuts all wood to 16-18"lengths while I cut wood to 16"+/- 12".
Myself and Lefty had our wood in a pile we call the sell ring, but now moving it to the IBC totes to make it easier to dry and sell. I think @Wood Doctor may be rubbing off on us as I am going to try harder at 16" plus stacking in the totes. On the plus side, my personal wood at the house is stacked on pallets or landscape timbers supported by cinderblocks and has been for several years now.

Attachments

• Pile 1C.jpg
    Pile 1C.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200614_134331.jpg
    20200614_134331.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 21

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best news might be that I obtained six straight days of truckload orders since the wood shown above was split and stacked.. A seventh is going out Monday and two more truckload requests came in today, one while I was sharpening chains.

Three of these recent orders have already lined up a second truckload order for delivery in December. They like the mixed hardwoods -- ash, elm, oak, maple, and berry woods. Some say they like a little linden. poplar, and cottonwood to get the fire going.

So, tomorrow and hopefully next week will be more play dates for cutting and splitting. "I saw a lot" is number one in my book. :cool: