Plating Advice......

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys working on a 038 Super that had a broken piston. Ordered a Quality after market P/C. Squish on it needed to be cut over 1 mm.
Got it cut to about .45 and needed to cut more... made another cut and I seen the Nikisil peal around the rim where the bevel was at the bottom.

My question is can this cylinder be used with the plating coming off at the bottom. It's in a non ring area but....IMG_2309.JPG
You can see the coating pulled away from the casting.IMG_2311.JPG
Rough on another section.

I tried using a diamond burr and 440 sand paper but I am VERY sceptical of long term reliability.

I would REALLY APPRECIATE thoughts on this!!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks crappy.

Try a brake hone please. Stones just need to be long enough. WD40 in the jug.

When you pull it out of the jug while spinning, it will start to "V" out and will make a perfect factory looking transition the likes of that can't be reproduced any other way I've tried.

Your plating issue may be too deep in the bore for that though. Worth a shot.

OEM 038 (non-mag) jugs seem to be available used for relatively cheap. Supply and demand, everyone wants the mag.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd worry that if the plating continued to peel, if any of it caught the slap of the piston skirt it could chip off. A small piece of Nikasil in the bottom end could f-up a bearing. Then you're doing a full tear down and case split.
If you could remove the peeling section and the remaining nikasil has good adhesion maybe run it... but not as is.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Deed, your right on what I'm worried about... I'm afraid it will continue to Peak and mess things up bad!!
When the sections came off it was like tin foil.
Now I'm scratching my head on why the squish is so bad on this daw....never seen one this bad. Stock was .65 with a gasket and .45 without. The AM cylinder was around 1.4 mm's the saw had no compression!!!! That's why I was cutting so much on the AM jug....trying to get it respectable.
Anyone else run into figures like this on sa 038 Super??

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a Mag it's around 46 thou with a gasket .You take off around 22-23 give or take .No gasket drops it by around 20 thou .Some do,I prefer a gasket .
If I recall it's about the same for an AV but you need to remember it has a hemi domed piston so you have to have the soft solder in the correct placement to get a measurement .Super,have no idea never wrenched on one and maybe have seen three in my life time .
Not to poke fun at that cylinder but the name "Quality" is misused .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on the parts I assume .Meteor pistons and Caber rings seems to work out .Use the OEM circlips .

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had good and bad. I leave it to saw owner what they want......usually AM as they don't want to pan OEM price. It's ALWAYS the CHEAPEST way.........and that's to much.