High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Piston wash patterns

Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I never found plug indexing did anything and not for lack of testing.
Your not wrong on the role of the piston ring.

I’m not arguing your point.

I was taught to index the plugs by my uncle. He was big i to racing back in the day and showed me how. He said back in the day when they cut down BBC and Hemi heads the plugs HAD to be indexed or the ground strap would kiss the piston. He clocked one side of his Chevelle engine, put the other side to torque spec and ran it for a couple months (motor was coming out to be freshened up). Showed me the difference in the piston tops when he pulled the heads; indexed had identical piston wash, non indexed hot hotspots and semi-even wash.

I do not have a series of pistons to lay out and take pictures of, but I would like to do a test of the indexing conundrum. We’ll see what the future brings.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not arguing your point.

I was taught to index the plugs by my uncle. He was big i to racing back in the day and showed me how. He said back in the day when they cut down BBC and Hemi heads the plugs HAD to be indexed or the ground strap would kiss the piston. He clocked one side of his Chevelle engine, put the other side to torque spec and ran it for a couple months (motor was coming out to be freshened up). Showed me the difference in the piston tops when he pulled the heads; indexed had identical piston wash, non indexed hot hotspots and semi-even wash.

I do not have a series of pistons to lay out and take pictures of, but I would like to do a test of the indexing conundrum. We’ll see what the future brings.
Might be different with four cycle V8's.