Pipe building theory.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about trimming 1-1/2” off the stinger to reduce back pressure.
She runs real hot, but I guess that is to be expected.
Last cuts in the 12”, I held it right about 11’000 rpm, which is what the pipe was designed for.

BigRed86

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
606d0259285809546ec0a2dee714202f.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Awesome looking pipes!! I have sent you a private message. Looking for a bit of info on tuned pipes

Bobby Frank

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome looking pipes!! I have sent you a private message. Looking for a bit of info on tuned pipes
I would like to get a pipe like this one built for my alky 084 Stihl. If anybody knows of a builder who does this quality on work I would appreciate a heads up. I have tried building my own and I am simply not good enough to make Em look like this.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to get a pipe like this one built for my alky 084 Stihl. If anybody knows of a builder who does this quality on work I would appreciate a heads up. I have tried building my own and I am simply not good enough to make Em look like this.
@spencerpaving

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried building my own and I am simply not good enough to make Em look like this.

I welded up a pipe for my desert racer back in the early 70s (73-74 forget). It was butt-ugly, but it worked. I was so proud of it, but everyone in my club ragged on it. Yeah, it was ugly, but Hell, it worked - until the welds started cracking...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if you cut to the chase gas welding of thin sheet metal is not like welding 1/2" plate steel .Fact it's nearly an art form .I happened to have an o tip and a 00 tip I can fuse tin cans with .The process is not one you can expect to become good at over night .Even at that on a tiny tip you can only run about 2-3 psi of gas and just barely enough oxygen for a tiny little flame and have a steady hand also .If you dip the flame too deep and have a blow out you will blow a hole in the weldment .I also use tie wire for a filler .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More .I don't think you can possibly get a pipe hot enough to melt brass .So it might be easier for people to braze a tuned pipe together .FWIW I have two cast iron exhaust manifolds I've repaired over 35 years ago and have brazed a lot of exhausting tubing that has never failed because of heat .
Now were it a 3000 HP super charged AA dragster fuel running rocket fuel that might be a problem .

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tig wellding is the best way to weld a pipe.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well after reading that a couple of times im fairly confident its worth it to pay someone else to do the math that knows what the information they are looking at means, in reference to make the correct changes at any given point of the problem

Last edited: