Pipe building theory.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was that the gtg Big Dave made the infamous Oly/Mac 999 come alive?
That thing is a hyped up story .4 or 5 guys had been into that that thing before Dave did anything to it .It had been set up prior for milling,IE long exhaust ,torque up the wazoo .Dave just raised it up a tad bit which jacked the R's .

I ran that thing both before and after Dave fooled with .I thought it did okay before he did anything to it .Of course after it had more speed which naturally it would,higher ex port .

It was a hoot.Good ole Dave just grabbed the cylinder and started carving,never measured a thing .Stuck it back together and we took turns running it .That was about the most famous saw ever mentioned on the internet .Last I heard from John Lambert AKA Gypo logger he didn't own it any more .

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
This is a neat build I stumbled across. With as many views as it has I'd assume everyone here has already seen it.

I don't care what they put it in you better be wearing flight goggles and a big diaper if you take it for a whirl.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1 (4).jpg
See there is a point, all these guys say that chainsaw pipes are nothing like bike pipes. But I remember back when FMF released the "fatty" for mx bikes. It was a shorter, fatter pipe pipe that yep, you guessed it. Had a much wider, rider friendly power band and made useable low end torque. Sounds pretty similar to me....
I've got a pristine ''fatty'' pipe on my 26 year old KX250 I'm restoring, am yet to ride it but thy say the fatty takes some of the savage hit out of this year and helps puts the power down in a more civil manner..

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I had three different sets of triple pipes for my snowmobile. They can make all the difference in the world when you get the right combo.

I had a lot of interest in building a pipe a while back, just haven't taken the time. Still would love to do it. I have everything I need but the gumption

A triple you say? Yup, '97 Polaris SPX 680. First big triple, the was the '99 XCR 800; a monster of a machine. I tried HTG pipes on it, along with several clutch/driven spring/ramp combos, wouldn't pull like the stock pipes. Put the stock pipes back on and BLAMMO! It would flat ass haul the mail.

Something I have noticed are saw exhaust ports expand towards the mouth of the exhaust. The snogo cylinders all (at least Polaris twin and triples), have round ports that match up with the pipes.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So would it be safe to say any pipe is better than no pipe?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just wondering I saw apost with a dirt bike pipe and it got me thinking which is dangerous to say the least. has anyone posted a video of timed run of before and after a pipe only mod?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
6:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I was just wondering I saw apost with a dirt bike pipe and it got me thinking which is dangerous to say the least. has anyone posted a video of timed run of before and after a pipe only mod?
A pipe only mod isn't how it's done.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A triple you say? Yup, '97 Polaris SPX 680. First big triple, the was the '99 XCR 800; a monster of a machine. I tried HTG pipes on it, along with several clutch/driven spring/ramp combos, wouldn't pull like the stock pipes. Put the stock pipes back on and BLAMMO! It would flat ass haul the mail.

Something I have noticed are saw exhaust ports expand towards the mouth of the exhaust. The snogo cylinders all (at least Polaris twin and triples), have round ports that match up with the pipes.
97' Yamaha SX 700 triple

Simons CPR pipes, spent years finding the right combo. Custom boost bottle, V Force reeds, ported a few times, custom back plate on the clutch and unholy amount of time clutching. Bender secondary, custom billet heads with interchangeable inserts for compression.

I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand theres a full port job done for the saw. But is it pipe only type port job as in its only good for racing?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't just stick a pipe on a stock saw but saw say I have one ported then wanted to slip a pipe on for playing would it be possible or the port timing for pipe and unpiped saw that much different?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
97' Yamaha SX 700 triple

Simons CPR pipes, spent years finding the right combo. Custom boost bottle, V Force reeds, ported a few times, custom back plate on the clutch and unholy amount of time clutching. Bender secondary, custom billet heads with interchangeable inserts for compression.

I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out

Oh yeah,
HYVO light weight chain and gears, titanium jack shaft and drive shaft, reinforced case and case porting too

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't just stick a pipe on a stock saw but saw say I have one ported then wanted to slip a pipe on for playing would it be possible or the port timing for pipe and unpiped saw that much different?
To get the best out of a pipe the porting and compression are way different

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My intention is to find a suitable Guinea pig saw in the 30-50cc range and do the following video cut tests in the same wood with the same bar and chain.

1) Bone stock saw
2) Muffler Mod, ignition advance, and retune.
3) Basic Woods port, ignition advance, muffler Mod and retune.
4) Basic Woods port, ignition advance, and eBay crap scooter pipe retrofitted.
5) Basic Woods port, ignition advance, and purpose built tuned pipe.

My purpose will be to see how much a pipe adds to a basic ported saw, will also be able to compare how a generic pipe runs against a factory muffler mod.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My intention is to find a suitable Guinea pig saw in the 30-50cc range and do the following video cut tests in the same wood with the same bar and chain.

1) Bone stock saw
5) Basic Woods port, ignition advance, and purpose built tuned pipe.

My purpose will be to see how much a pipe adds to a basic ported saw, will also be able to compare how a generic pipe runs against a factory muffler mod.

I have a saw I will donate to your cause... it's a Poulan, but does need a little TLC. Probably fuel lines, carb kit, impulse line, and maybe intake boot. I have not had it running yet. It would be a screamer with a pipe on it... it will also come with a bar and chain. I think it's 40 or so cc.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

1) Bone stock saw
5) Basic Woods port, ignition advance, and purpose built tuned

Now thats what Iam talking about!! And has anyone piped a strato saw?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To get the best out of a pipe the porting and compression are way different

Thats what I was wondering if the set up for a pipe is totally hotsaw style then pipe. And sorry for the dumb question I only foumd AS then this site a few months ago when looking were fuel limes went on a old poulan woodshark. Now I'm totally addicted to modding saws or at least trying!