Picking up an 084 for Milling

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking at picking up an 084 for milling but have been discouraged by the feedback about lack of parts.
A call to the local Stihl dealer in town and he told me there are only a few things available but most things are not. He told me to check out Ebay, and craigslist. He also told me that if it were him he'd look for a newer saw with parts that are readily available.
I'd like to get a feel from the general forum what they think not about the saw, but more about the parts availability, and longevity of the saws.

thanks!
-Chris

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
394/5,parts are everywhere and it's not neer as heavy and will cut as good.

I love stihls but them 084/088 880 are not very impressive.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am new to the 084 as just having acquired it, but the dealer is right. Parts are available, but getting hard to find. The muffler alone can cost you a pretty penny if it is in good shape. Mine only cost me $650 which to my knowledge 084 don"t bring as much as 880's. It Isn't mint but it a nice solid good running saw. Cross just started making AM cylinders for it, and if you buy one whole you shouldn't need anymore than gaskets or seals. Cheaper than an 880 or a 3120. But maybe he's right, seeing as milling is harder on a saw than just felling and bucking. There are pros and cons to everything, tradeoffs, but I guess it comes down to if it will fill your needs or if you'd be more comfortable witha newer saw. Also them old saws were built like tanks. Maybe an old 088 would do it?

sefh3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Make sure it's running good before you slap it on a mill. If you can post a video of it running and cutting. Some of our ears are pretty good or sent it to tree monkey or mastermind at least for a once over. Parts are expensive and are getting hard to find. A bit more money in the beginning is better than a lot in the end.

lumberjackchef

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I did it, and now the hording of spare parts begins..... but hopefully i won't need any for a long time, atleast long enough for the wife to get over the purchase of the saw and mill.... [emoji14]
Did you get to run it before purchase or at least watch a video of it cutting or something??

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
394/5,parts are everywhere and it's not neer as heavy and will cut as good.

I love stihls but them 084/088 880 are not very impressive.
3120, stock or ported, is a better choice for milling or extra torque than the big Stihls?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3120 with the 12k rpm coil isn't bad. An adjustable carb mod and they do good.

The 084 is probably the best power stock for stock in the big stihls.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you put it on a mill I would put a side pipe on it. Running long and hard through wood and that muffler will be gone in a hurry. The muffler are known to go bad and cost a shiz ton to replace. There is one on ebay for $200+ shipping right now and I'm sure someone will find it and buy it soon. Like i said... fab a pipe to the side of the milling rig and forget about it.

nate

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you can put regular two stroke pipes on them? I have access to a metal fabrication shop and a friend who is a genius with a torch. However i was under the impression that these motors require a backpressure profile to make scavaging the cylinder efficient.
Maybe this should be a new thread.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He meant make a side exit to direct the exhaust away from you and to keep it from bouncing off the wood and back at you

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah i got it. But would putting a tuned pipe make a difference for milling? Im thinking that it should

lumberjackchef

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ah i got it. But would putting a tuned pipe make a difference for milling? Im thinking that it should
It wouldn't be practical for milling and you have to have a pipe custom made for every specific engine configuration, port timing ,compression ratio, etc,,etc,etc,etc...if you think it needs a little more umph send it to mastermind or treemonkey or someone they can give a little more punch without piping it.....

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope haven't even gotten it yet. It's being shipped today, from what I understand. I know enough to know that i don't know enough about chainsaw motors. I know tons about small motors(mostly nitro methane glow motors) and i know how much being on the pipe can help those. I figured while milling i won't be wide open, but would be at a constant spot on the power band and that's why i thought a tuned pipe might help.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You pretty much wanna run it wide open while cutting. That's what they're designed to do. Opening the muffler (adding a large dia. tube to direct the exhaust where you want it) will help it run cooler. Keep in mind stock saws weren't designed to run a tuned pipe. Just get it opened up, let it breath and tune it a bit rich.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You'll be running wide open. The carbs don't flow as well at part throttle. Plus milling will load it like nothing else.