Part Two: The Intake Port

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Intake meh who knows without all the good numbers? but yeah I tried this years ago on a 088 (see pic),was kind of my half ass attempt at a copy of what Stihl put in the intake manifold even made the mistake of posting it AS LOL ...
Anyways the saw did run ok for a saw with a few Dremel mods and yeah it still runs sweet to this day.
Here's a old vid first few cuts after some Dremel mods and is 0nly a 7pin .404 I don't like super high chain speed myself is just a bit of fun tinkering on the weekends..
full-6143-9307-08p_021.jpg

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great stuff guys. Just enough to get me in trouble as it all sinks into my thick skull.

I was just given an ugly 034 which was supposedly stuck. After a few minutes, I found one of the cylinder bolts had come off and was lodged between the flywheel and case. The case has seen all the inside and outside of a skidder, but the p&c are perfect - only light witness marks. This presents me with an opportunity to abandon my hesitation and grind some jug on a decent ph.

I read the Part 3 transfers thread too, and among the various valuable opinions, have assembled a minimalist, hack theory of my own to start with. I 'll do a basic gasket delete, muff mod and mild intake and exhaust shaping. Gotta check squish first, and fashion a mandrel for my drill press in case I need to cut the band. I don't have the angled and pencil tools to touch the transfers, so I have to leave them be.

I laser-printed a degree wheel on a transparency, and am going to weld up a shaft mount for it. I can't believe I actually looked at an available South Bend 9c engine lathe today dot dot dot. I'm playing "hard to buy".

The foyer tile is going to have to wait! Good thing it's raining because I also have a couple days worth of plowing & discing to do too. I have another month before first cut too.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great stuff guys. Just enough to get me in trouble as it all sinks into my thick skull.

I was just given an ugly 034 which was supposedly stuck. After a few minutes, I found one of the cylinder bolts had come off and was lodged between the flywheel and case. The case has seen all the inside and outside of a skidder, but the p&c are perfect - only light witness marks. This presents me with an opportunity to abandon my hesitation and grind some jug on a decent ph.

I read the Part 3 transfers thread too, and among the various valuable opinions, have assembled a minimalist, hack theory of my own to start with. I 'll do a basic gasket delete, muff mod and mild intake and exhaust shaping. Gotta check squish first, and fashion a mandrel for my drill press in case I need to cut the band. I don't have the angled and pencil tools to touch the transfers, so I have to leave them be.

I laser-printed a degree wheel on a transparency, and am going to weld up a shaft mount for it. I can't believe I actually looked at an available South Bend 9c engine lathe today dot dot dot. I'm playing "hard to buy".

The foyer tile is going to have to wait! Good thing it's raining because I also have a couple days worth of plowing & discing to do too. I have another month before first cut too.

Remember........it's an addiction. :)

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's everyone's opinion on the doohicky in the 461 and 661?...I think it blocks flow some...I try to grind the bottom some to open it up a little. ..what do you guys think?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's everyone's opinion on the doohicky in the 461 and 661?...I think it blocks flow some...I try to grind the bottom some to open it up a little. ..what do you guys think?

I've taken it out and tested. Couldn't tell much if any real difference.

I agree that it has to be somewhat of a restriction though.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is
Here is a pic comparing the stock intake ports on the k&S AND Mahle
Is the KS the top pic? Sorry, I'm not experienced enough on the 288 to tell them apart. The new OEM one I put on mine is a KS. Which cylinder do you prefer? Does one run better than the other in your opinion?

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is

Is the KS the top pic? Sorry, I'm not experienced enough on the 288 to tell them apart. The new OEM one I put on mine is a KS. Which cylinder do you prefer? Does one run better than the other in your opinion?
The first pic is of the k&s look at the ports the Mahle is a tad smaller than the k&s. I like them both seems like their is more room to grind in the Mahle. K&s seems to have better # stock.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the 034 intake port. What should I do with the tonsil? There has to be a damn good reason it's there, likely turbulence/dispesral. I was going to leave it, enlarge the outside of the port ever so slightly, and wing out the inside of the port to the sides a bit. The idea is to maintain velocity entering the port, assist the tonsil in the split dispersal, and maybe, just maybe increase the vacuum pull from the piston stroke. Am I on the right track. I read this thread several times, and have some ideas that may even be based in sound practice. Or maybe not dot dot dot.
20170506_171336_zpshbmg7tss.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the 034 intake port. What should I do with the tonsil? There has to be a damn good reason it's there, likely turbulence/dispesral. I was going to leave it, enlarge the outside of the port ever so slightly, and wing out the inside of the port to the sides a bit. The idea is to maintain velocity entering the port, assist the tonsil in the split dispersal, and maybe, just maybe increase the vacuum pull from the piston stroke. Am I on the right track. I read this thread several times, and have some ideas that may even be based in sound practice. Or maybe not dot dot dot.
20170506_171336_zpshbmg7tss.jpg
It keeps the rings tucked in the port. The ends are just outside the intake opening. I can't remember exactly, but if you're deleting the base gasket, which lowers the jug, it may no longer be needed

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It keeps the rings tucked in the port. The ends are just outside the intake opening. I can't remember exactly, but if you're deleting the base gasket, which lowers the jug, it may no longer be needed

Yes, I think I remember Doc saying that somewhere. This is the first Stihl I've peeked into. I am deleting the gasket. I'll see where the rings end up. Geez, I thought that might be there to increase turbulence. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not low enough, but I was able to remove some of it. Here is the rough-in. Maybe I can take some more off the tonsil, so I'll measure again.
20170507_090103_zpsemkn7gye.jpg

20170507_090144_zpsyxrpmamm.jpg

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive wondered the same and looked hard at them especially the 661. They definately reduce alot of case volume. I cant help but wonder if there was some flow direction intended with the entrance to the trans tunnels 180* from the intake.