drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a strato intake. That’s gonna flow fuel rich charge.

Just be careful moving things. Gotta remember that greater than what you expect of your intake area is through the stratos.

Dropping jug is gonna open stratos and fill the uppers sooner already. The time open shouldn’t change.

Plus you’ve got a complicated piston there with a tiny intake skirt.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Intake port shape is likely designed that way to keep the rings tucked in when the piston is at BDC. Check out the ring pin locations and compare to intake port. Last thing you wanna have happen is have the saw hang a ring in a port.
Really does look like it’s on opposite side for most Stihls.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Measure the skirt between the cut outs on the piston, then measure the width of your intake. You might not have enough room to widen the intake without exposing the cut outs...which would be bad, intake would never close.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just a hobbyist porting my MS 241. I've checked out @Mastermind's build and reviewed @Keith Gandy and him go back and forth on the build.
  • It seems that @Deets066 and @mdavlee advocate for a rounded rectangle. Stock is squarish with some kind of weird nub in the corner. I can't figure out what nub is for. I channeled my inner ape, and I can't figure anything on the piston or lower that makes the nub necessary.
    View attachment 158351 View attachment 158352
  • Right now I think I have 145* of opening. The port is currently .560 wide, and the piston skirt is .742, leaving me .182 to split. How much support does the intake need on each side?
C7C7D970-6D10-41C2-81A5-5AF0CA41E100.jpeg

I like to shape em like this, could’ve squared the bottom right corner a little more....

Fairways_and_Greens

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a strato intake. That’s gonna flow fuel rich charge.

Just be careful moving things. Gotta remember that greater than what you expect of your intake area is through the stratos.

Dropping jug is gonna open stratos and fill the uppers sooner already. The time open shouldn’t change.

Plus you’ve got a complicated piston there with a tiny intake skirt.

Thanks. I’ve read through the transfer port thread in advance of this this to get the big picture. Not a ton regarding stratos in there. Do I need to raise the strato on the jug to recoup timing or am I asking for trouble?

Fairways_and_Greens

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just lower the floor of the intake 1mm. Leave the rest alone.
Thanks Randy. Intuitively I would have taken off the roof because the jug is lower, thanks for saving me. Since I don’t have the benefit of your experience, how would I have figured that one out intuitively? (Beyond the wise ape adage “test, test, test”)

:oops:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Randy. Intuitively I would have taken off the roof because the jug is lower, thanks for saving me. Since I don’t have the benefit of your experience, how would I have figured that one out intuitively? (Beyond the wise ape adage “test, test, test”)

How much lower?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you lowered the jug you’ve already lowered the intake