Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so we've covered the exhaust port in exhaustive detail (pun intended).

http://opeforum.com/threads/part-one-the-exhaust-port.7279/

Now let's look at the intake port.

Let's talk about angles, shapes, texture, finish, opening and closing points.

How about intake tract length?

Is there a point that too much intake is bad?

Can too short of a duration hurt performance?

Should carb size be considered when deciding duration?

What about primary or case compression?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is where I've got some ground to make up. The dynamics of the intake aren't nearly as clear in my head. My current thought is in keeping velocity up for 2 reasons. First, proper atomization of fuel through the carb. Second, to fill the case quickly and efficiently. The other priority to me is closing the intake soon enough to build sufficient case pressure for movement up through the transfers. Now I'm gonna eat popcorn..lol

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is where I've got some ground to make up. The dynamics of the intake aren't nearly as clear in my head. My current thought is in keeping velocity up for 2 reasons. First, proper atomization of fuel through the carb. Second, to fill the case quickly and efficiently. The other priority to me is closing the intake soon enough to build sufficient case pressure for movement up through the transfers. Now I'm gonna eat popcorn..lol

We agree on many things here.....

I'm gonna kick back and let some folks get in here. Like yesterday's topic, this will really get going when everyone gets off of work.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We agree on many things here.....

I'm gonna kick back and let some folks get in here. Like yesterday's topic, this will really get going when everyone gets off of work.
Thats when ill be just starting work. Gonna miss it it all then be up til 1 AM like last night trying to catxh up.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question; (yes, I know you all hate me by now Lol) If after lowering a cylinder all it can be lowered and the skirt of the piston still is hanging down into the intake tract with the piston at TDC, can the bottom of the skirt be marked and material removed if there is plenty of support for the piston? Any thing else to look for, or reason not to do this?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like a pretty short intake duration. I just build working saws, so I think about fuel economy. I worry that excessive spitback might drown the air filter. I feel like a short intake makes a better idle and off idle transition.

There are other folks that like a longer intake duration........sorta like @mdavlee likes a higher exhaust. He can make that work.

I know @blsnelling uses a longer intake duration, and Brad has built some damn strong running saws with a longer intake duration. I can't seem to make that work for me. That doesn't mean that either way is right or wrong.......just a different approach.

I've come to the conclusion that the port timing numbers actually make up only a small part of the way an engine really performs. It's the whole package that makes different ideas and build philosophies work. So, we can cover all this stuff in detail, but you have to try things your own way in the end to figure out what really works for you. Hopefully these threads will educate you enough that you can at least have an idea of where to begin.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question; (yes, I know you all hate me by now Lol) If after lowering a cylinder all it can be lowered and the skirt of the piston still is hanging down into the intake tract with the piston at TDC, can the bottom of the skirt be marked and material removed if there is plenty of support for the piston? Any thing else to look for, or reason not to do this?

That will add to intake duration.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would shorter intake duration give better case compression?

Yes, but it can be argued that more case compression hinders performance by adding more rotating resistance.

Does a saw with tight transfers benefit from more case compression?

Good question.....and not one I have a solid answer too.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which could be good as long as it shuts off in time?
I think I understand what your thinking Steve but intake duration is measured from when the port opens till closing.

Cutting the skirt to give more time at tdc gives more duration from closing the port later. Was I off base on your quession?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I understand what your thinking Steve but intake duration is measured from when the port opens till closing.

Cutting the skirt to give more time at tdc gives more duration from closing the port later. Was I off base on your quession?

So the time of events is more important than the port not being fully open, I think I'm starting to see.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks John.

Sometimes I'm as thick as a brick.

Good explanation.