High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Part Six: The Exhaust System

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, let's talk about this. If he carved a BIG hole and smoked the saw. It must have run leaner, which in my eyes is burning more efficiently and completely. Should make more power...being it would get tuned properly
Would it? Or would a BIG hole diminish the scavenging effect requiring more fuel?? Honest question...I know with tuned expansion chamber exhausts, the stinger length and diameter has an effect and plays a role

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would it? Or would a BIG hole diminish the scavenging effect requiring more fuel?? Honest question...I know with tuned expansion chamber exhausts, the stinger length and diameter has an effect and plays a role
Not entirely sure, that's the good thing about these threads. You get a lot of opinions and theory

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im sure you are right, that a big hole does diminish the scavenging effect, but that doesnt mean less power, just more fuel used, hence the need to retune. i know the guys makin 3 (or 2.5...) cuts in cant races couldnt really care less about fuel consumption. obviously a different story for the firewooder/logger/tree service guy.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brian W Aka "timber wolf" had a spread sheet on hole sizes with stock carbs .He showed graphically that anything above about 125 percent was detrimental .Fact anything above 80-85 percent didn't show much gain ."Zander" down Cinci way cooked an 880 by carving out too big of a hole and not retuning .tried to sell the saw on flea bay for next to nothing .I tried to tell him but -----well chit happens
Seems the husky don't mind bigger outlets like the stihls.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything I've done with a side outlet and a flat front had made the same power and less noise.

I did buy Stainless measuring/sauce cups of varying sizes off of amazon to try in mufflers, but they won't ever be able to reflect back what a tube with an expansion chamber can.

Next for me is to cap the inside part of my outlets inside the muffler to prevent any of the exhaust from escaping the openings directly. Kinda custom baffling.

The more the exhaust pulse swirls, the more random sound wave canceling effect occurs.

Like Mason said, the volume can sometimes be close, but the sound is less irritating for some reason.

Capping the PTO side opening and forcing a front outlet can help as well.

Trying to create a quieter muffler that still flows is gonna be the next experimentation for me in saw porting. Flowmaster seems to have done a lot of baffle experimentation. I'll likely follow their leads.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think there's sound wave scavenging happening in these little box mufflers the way it happens in a tuner pipe, at least not at a functional level. The shape is just not conducive to reflecting sound back to the port. What I do think is back pressure is playing a role in how much fuel is let out of the exhaust port before it closes. I should have clarified in my earlier post when I said I left the front of the muffler alone for reflection. What I meant by that is resistance to create back pressure. I think a muffler is working to its potential if there's no fuel getting spit out the outlet but fresh charge is making it into the muffler a little. And obviously with some of Mikes examples my theory gets blown out of the water. But on a work saw, I don't want a front port an inch from the log blasting exhaust off of it and subsequently in muh face. My theories aside I haven't really experimented with different muffler mods to find the balance between size and gain, given carb size, timing etc. A lot of guess work and assumptions from this guy.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I was bored one day and decided it couldn't be that difficult to make a die to make deflectors in my press. It's crude looking but it works pretty well. I'll be making more of various sizes to accommodate different saws where clearances are tight or there's lots of room for bigger deflectors.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything I've done with a side outlet and a flat front had made the same power and less noise.

I did buy Stainless measuring/sauce cups of varying sizes off of amazon to try in mufflers, but they won't ever be able to reflect back what a tube with an expansion chamber can.

Next for me is to cap the inside part of my outlets inside the muffler to prevent any of the exhaust from escaping the openings directly. Kinda custom baffling.

The more the exhaust pulse swirls, the more random sound wave canceling effect occurs.

Like Mason said, the volume can sometimes be close, but the sound is less irritating for some reason.

Capping the PTO side opening and forcing a front outlet can help as well.

Trying to create a quieter muffler that still flows is gonna be the next experimentation for me in saw porting. Flowmaster seems to have done a lot of baffle experimentation. I'll likely follow their leads.
If you want to try something you could put a cone from just around the ex port widening out to the sides. Then an opposing cone on the front cover. Then two side ports

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought of this for a while but never tried it