Part Seven: Carburation

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In extreme cases, but much more likely that it will just be a bit anemic.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually the H screw will only allow more fuel in up to about 1.5-2 turns out. Beyond that, there isn't much more fuel it can let through. The jet that supplies fuel to the needle is probably sized proportionately to the venturi. So if you're out 2.5 turns, and going lean in a long cut, you would need a larger carburetor. Boring the venturi and using a bigger H jet might allow enough extra air and fuel without needing to upgrade the carb.

I think that's what I'm seeing in my mind's eye

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen big cut time cha he's in carb swaps on the 7900. Up to 30%. The Solo was 5 turns out on an Rwj4 and might have been down around 15.5k-16k. Just not enough fuel. 385 carb fixed that.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually the H screw will only allow more fuel in up to about 1.5-2 turns out. Beyond that, there isn't much more fuel it can let through. The jet that supplies fuel to the needle is probably sized proportionately to the venturi. So if you're out 2.5 turns, and going lean in a long cut, you would need a larger carburetor. Boring the venturi and using a bigger H jet might allow enough extra air and fuel without needing to upgrade the carb.

I think that's what I'm seeing in my mind's eye

Like everything else, the A/F ratio the carb provides may be based more on emissions than on performance (my guess anyway). So making it a tad richer is likely to increase performance, just like the Holley carbs did on the cars (even if you did not increase the size).

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looming for a Zamma 3cm twin jet carb for my Solo 681 that has a Walbro. I can mod the Zamma easily to perform. Maybe a 385 carb is worth a try too.

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, I've got a carburation question. See if any of you are gonna bite. My MS341, which is stock engine-wise, except for a muffler mod, runs beautifully....starts well, has ace response, idle, performance etc.

But the one annoying characteristic it has is that it is VERY sensitive to H screw adjustments. It will go from 12,900-13,500 in about 1/16 of a turn (if not less). So that's from running marginally fat to starting to sing at no load WOT. I know this since yesterday I was giving it a last tune before selling it on to my neighbour, and I wanted to be sure that he'll have good performance, and I'd have peace of mind that he won't burnt it out. I did get it settled somewhere between so that it still fourstroked enough for deaf old me to tell, but I wondered it you guys have any ideas what causes this feature, and if there are easy workarounds.

For more info, the saw is air-tight, has v. good piston and jug etc. and I recently serviced (diaphrams, needle, spring etc.) the stock carb (except for it's trimmed limiter caps). And we live at sea level.

Any ideas?