Part Five: Ignition Timing

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could fab a mount to try it for the sake of science and stuff. I did look at that when I was playing around with flywheel/ coil combos. The two legs are closer together on a 261. I wasnt sure how that would affect spark timing.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now see, that is what the landscaper told me. He was a nice guy, but when I asked him what kind saw he was looking for, he told me a big saw. I asked how big, and he replied "A Magnum".

He seemed quite pleased with the MS460, and told me he liked how "it pulled him into the wood" and was much stronger than his other saw! Hey, as long as he was happy!

He already had a job lined up to cut up a tree, and planned to make the money back that he paid for the saw with that job. Not bad I guess.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey fellas, got bored today and thought I would try and see if I could find any differences between spark plug brands performance speaking using a Merc-O-Tronic 98 to measure the amperage through the plug. This test is for ignition coils, but I had reasoned that maybe when a spark plug was added that it could be measured. An automotive coil was used as that much testing on a small coil is quite hard on it. So I dug out every kind of plug I could find in the shop, the usual suspects and the not so usual. NGK, Bosch, Champion, Torch, Autolite, E3, Husqvarna, CDX, OREGON and even a Briggs & Stratton.
So I got a base line measurement with just the coil then went the plugs one at a time. After I finished and was looking at what I had wrote down, I could see some were high and low. After thinking on it, I realized that the gap was affecting the results, so I re-did the entire test but this time instead of letting the plug spark, I put the test wire right on the electrode. Now thigs leveled right out pretty much even. So looking at the results I took a gap gauge and just like I thought, it took more amperage for an increased gap, and less for a smaller one. Seemed pretty reasonable to me, what I also found though was that most had not changed one bit. These were all to measure exactly .020" . For whatever electromological reason jumping at .020" is unchanged from not jumping at all. So to my line of thinking, this must have some bearing as to why manufacturers want the plugs gapped at this measurement. I would not have thought that .002" - .003" would make any difference but it did. So it turned out the brand did not matter (for this test) but gapping the plug properly did, it can and will make a difference, after the results were in.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like some of the plugs that were tested were used plugs. If so, did you notice any difference in the amperage between a fresh plug and a used plug?

I mention this as I used to take a 'points file' and clean up the electrodes on a plug. Under the side strap there is usually some oxide/wear that I would clean up and the center electrode would get a few swipes to clean it up and put a sharp edge around the electrode. Maybe I never needed to do that, I just needed to re-gap the plug.

When trying to get the 'hottest' position for the coil gap, I would open up the gap on the plug to get a better reading on the color of the spark, that is consistent with your testing on plug gaps. The extra gap creates more resistance for the coil to work against.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mentioned getting the 'hottest' position for the COIL gap in the above post. I like to physically test the coil gap to get the best position. There are always manufacturing tolerances to contend with and sometimes the 'factory' gap isn't always the best.

I had one saw that the factory settings were between .2mm and .4mm. The saw would not run at .3mm. I found the best range for the saw was .43 to .48. I set the coil gap at .45mm. - On cold mornings, I like to have the hottest spark I can to get the engine cranking.

To test the gap, just open up the plug gap to watch the spark and in a darkened environment check the color of the spark. A nice fat blue/white spark is what you want. Start with a bigger coil gap so you can keep using smaller feeler gauges to bring the gap down. You will find a range that gives the best spark. I put the gap in the middle of that range.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes tested several of the same brand new and used they were identical in the amount of amperage it took the coil to push. The differences between brands was so slight, less than .01 ampere. It was to my thinking well within the margin of error. Even if correct, not enough to worry about. There was however a .05 ampere difference in the gap being off just a couple thousandths one way or the other. Also short and long grounding straps were both used and no difference there electrically speaking, so no disadvantage to one or the other was found. Every plug tested took between .03 and .04 amperes more than, the coil alone with no plug. And at .020" measured the same .03 to .04 more.

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey fellas, got bored today and thought I would try and see if I could find any differences between spark plug brands performance speaking using a Merc-O-Tronic 98 to measure the amperage through the plug. This test is for ignition coils, but I had reasoned that maybe when a spark plug was added that it could be measured. An automotive coil was used as that much testing on a small coil is quite hard on it. So I dug out every kind of plug I could find in the shop, the usual suspects and the not so usual. NGK, Bosch, Champion, Torch, Autolite, E3, Husqvarna, CDX, OREGON and even a Briggs & Stratton.
So I got a base line measurement with just the coil then went the plugs one at a time. After I finished and was looking at what I had wrote down, I could see some were high and low. After thinking on it, I realized that the gap was affecting the results, so I re-did the entire test but this time instead of letting the plug spark, I put the test wire right on the electrode. Now thigs leveled right out pretty much even. So looking at the results I took a gap gauge and just like I thought, it took more amperage for an increased gap, and less for a smaller one. Seemed pretty reasonable to me, what I also found though was that most had not changed one bit. These were all to measure exactly .020" . For whatever electromological reason jumping at .020" is unchanged from not jumping at all. So to my line of thinking, this must have some bearing as to why manufacturers want the plugs gapped at this measurement. I would not have thought that .002" - .003" would make any difference but it did. So it turned out the brand did not matter (for this test) but gapping the plug properly did, it can and will make a difference, after the results were in.
My take on it .....The plug makers may want a consistent gap for more than the spark....they would need to spec there plugs for distance above the piston so everyone else knows the plug is not going to come into contact with the piston top at TDC taking that measurement into there calculations . Tinny amounts.. Yes...but most things are made to a industry standard if they are cross platform so something that is in theory ..moveable...has to start somewhere as a datum .