Owb heat master vs heatmor

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Still plenty of winter yet to come...! I figure when it's all said, & done, I'll have burned close to 12 cord for the winter. That's firing up in October, & shutting her down first part of May, or 7 Months.
That's about my burning season, I don't know what's going on yet but something has to be. At this rate I'll burn 20 cord!

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's about my burning season, I don't know what's going on yet but something has to be. At this rate I'll burn 20 cord!
Do you have super long runs or something..? Multiple buildings, lots of square footage getting heated..?

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Reading back through this thread, I forgot to put up a finished pic of my wood shed. This pic is pre-stain, not long before she got fired up the first time.

enhance

This pic is pretty current....took not long ago....

enhance

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ryan Browne how's the kuuma in this cold? I'm pretty frustrated with my OWB, all brand new stuff and have burned 10 cord so far! My old house I burned 5-6 with a boiler so I figured it should be close but not so much.

So far so good. I still need to get my cold air return for the blower figured out better. Right now it's drawing air from about 4' high in the basement. It'd be better if it was coming off the ceiling, or from the heated upstairs. I'm running it full throttle during these temps and burning a little over .25 cord/week. I'm loading it 3-4x per day right now, but not full loads except at night. Our house gets a lot of solar gain on clear days, so it's a bit of a balancing act. I'd be happy to chat on the phone about it sometime if you want more details.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice building.
Thanks man. I put a lot into it. I really enjoy building stuff like this. More so if it's for myself..lol. I had a little help with some of the grunt work but, probably did 90% of it myself.

Cost me less than a shed from Lowe's, & is built waaaay better. One of the perks to being a Contractor I suppose...:cool:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
[emoji106] Good deal. [emoji16]

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd like to know what you think of it come spring. I have a OWB while I do like it, it does eat the wood! And filling it up at -20 or colder isn't very fun.
Are you heating your domestic hot water as well?

Which OWB do you have? Also, as was mentioned, what all are you heating and how big, length of runs, etc.?

I have a hardy h4 and I couldn’t even begin to imagine heating with it in Minnesota. Lol. I live in SE Ohio and went through between 10-15 cords last winter (3100 sq ft house). It was a little unusually colder than what it usually is but still.

Mine is pre-epa and while it will burn anything you throw in it, it eats a lot of wood. Newer ones are supposed to be more efficient?

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a heatmaster non epa model. 50 ft of underground insulated pex. House 2400 sq ft and attached garage 642 sq ft.
House has new windows and doors and plenty of insulation. The thing that baffles me is last winter I heated with propane and it wasn't bad. About a 1000 gallons, plus it was a colder winter last winter. My old house I used about 7-800 gallons of propane and burned 5-6 cord.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mine is a heatmaster non epa model. 50 ft of underground insulated pex. House 2400 sq ft and attached garage 642 sq ft.
House has new windows and doors and plenty of insulation. The thing that baffles me is last winter I heated with propane and it wasn't bad. About a 1000 gallons, plus it was a colder winter last winter. My old house I used about 7-800 gallons of propane and burned 5-6 cord.
That's weird. Seems like you shouldn't have to burn 20 cord of wood in a winter. That seems insane to me. Granted, my winter isn't as harsh as Minnesota but, I do live in the mountains, & see single digits from time to time (twice this winter so far), & the occasional below zero.

I'm heating with a new system myself. My house is a little smaller, 1800 sq ft, but my garage is 1100 sq ft, & 300 ft away from my stove. I felt like I was burning a lot of wood, as I've burned about 6 cord so far. Hearing how much you're burning makes me not think that.

What temp it your blower set to..? Mine kicks on at 165.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On 165 off 175
Hmmm. Mine is 165/180. Doubt that's the problem.

Smaller unit, working harder maybe..? What size is your stove..?

As a reference, I do know a couple people with smaller OWB's. They are burning very close to what stoves similar to the one I run.

I'm no expert on em obviously. Yet, even though this is my first winter with one, I know lots of people with them. Every scenario is unique for sure. However, 20 cord for a single winter seems like an awful lot to me. Unless one isn't burning hardwoods.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stove is rated for 4000 SQ feet. I have heated with a boiler since 2010 and with everything I have learned I should be in the 10-12 cord range.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk