Oregon versa cut bars

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never grease bar tips but again I normally run stihl bars so it isn’t an option anyway. I do usually carry a spare tip. Depending on the work I’m doing it’s much easier to pack a spare tip up a mountain then whole bar with the rest of my gear and spare parts. I’ll always have a spare bar at the heli pad but if it’s a quick tip swap then it saves me a ton of time.

That being said I probably won’t be trying the VersaCut due to the limited lengths available and non replaceable tip.

If I did your kind of work I probably would too, it's just not really worth it for tree service work...bars are cheap in the big picture.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you. Just me.
On cars, they make greaseable ball joints, and sealed non-greaseable ball joints. They both work.
That doesn’t apply to the bars imo... there always getting oil unless the oiler is weak or not working. The sealed ball joints... what’s there is there till it wears out.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I did your kind of work I probably would too, it's just not really worth it for tree service work...bars are cheap in the big picture.

I completely agree. I could care less to change a bar tip in the big picture and would rather just throw on a new bar but like you said for me it’s a matter of convenience. I’m not one to really care much about weight but when I’m carrying my saw, fuel, spare parts and chains, food, water and spare clothes among other gear it’s just a pain to carry a whole bar. More because of the length and size of it being awkward more then the weight.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I completely agree. I could care less to change a bar tip in the big picture and would rather just throw on a new bar but like you said for me it’s a matter of convenience. I’m not one to really care much about weight but when I’m carrying my saw, fuel, spare parts and chains, food, water and spare clothes among other gear it’s just a pain to carry a whole bar. More because of the length and size of it being awkward more then the weight.

I get it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only two things I can think of is if I was running a super long bar and was running it with a saw I knew the oiler might struggle with keeping up... then it would make sense to grease it often. Or grease a bar before storing it to prevent rust. If I have a bar fail on me I can attribute to not greasing the tip... you guys will be the first to know.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never grease bar tips but again I normally run stihl bars so it isn’t an option anyway. I do usually carry a spare tip. Depending on the work I’m doing it’s much easier to pack a spare tip up a mountain then whole bar with the rest of my gear and spare parts. I’ll always have a spare bar at the heli pad but if it’s a quick tip swap then it saves me a ton of time.

That being said I probably won’t be trying the VersaCut due to the limited lengths available and non replaceable tip.

So what's the trick for getting rivets out without drilling them out if you need to change a tip?

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what's the trick for getting rivets out without drilling them out if you need to change a tip?

I’ve never drilled a rivet out. I always carry a small punch with me. If I blow a tip on the mountain I will take the punch and give each rivet a good smack just to get them free a bit. Then get my falling partner to cut a small bore cut vertical in a tree or stump. Slide the bar tip in but don’t cover where it joins the bar but have it close. Then just give the bar a quick jerk side to side and the tip end will spread and the rivets will pop out. I don’t bother trying to put new rivets in on the hill, the chain tension will keep it there until the end of the day. I’ve ran a tip on a bar with no rivets for quite some time, not ideal but keeps me going.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never drilled a rivet out. I always carry a small punch with me. If I blow a tip on the mountain I will take the punch and give each rivet a good smack just to get them free a bit. Then get my falling partner to cut a small bore cut vertical in a tree or stump. Slide the bar tip in but don’t cover where it joins the bar but have it close. Then just give the bar a quick jerk side to side and the tip end will spread and the rivets will pop out. I don’t bother trying to put new rivets in on the hill, the chain tension will keep it there until the end of the day. I’ve ran a tip on a bar with no rivets for quite some time, not ideal but keeps me going.

Nice.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sure the options are kind of pointless to you west coast guys unless it’s a small saw. The 20/24/28 is probably the most common logger/tree guy bar size here in the east in hardwood country. I think if they came out with a 28 it would be a good thing. Maybe the 28 would be of interest to some of you guys if the price point is still good like the other versa cut sizes. My feelings is they think they already have you guys covered with the Oregon lightweight that comes in longer bar lengths. Personally I think they are a little flexy and like a more rigid bar myself, but they are really light.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is that one of the bars from the give away day a few years back?
@huskyboy Did your bar come from that gtg?

What's all this talk about non-replaceable tips? I've rebuilt replaceable tips and I've rebuilt Ebars....what's the problem? Small punch in your punch press. A nose kit is all that is required.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that one of the bars from the give away day a few years back?
@huskyboy Did your bar come from that gtg?

What's all this talk about non-replaceable tips? I've rebuilt replaceable tips and I've rebuilt Ebars....what's the problem? Small punch in your punch press. A nose kit is all that is required.
I just got the bars this spring