Oregon straps on Stihl chain?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've re-used links but very rarely. Just when I didn't have the kind I needed. And often had to punch out several before I found one I was willing to utilize. Thankfully I have a pretty comprehensive assortment of repair links.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Explain exactly what is a "master" link. It's not like it's a roller chain.
The "master link" is the link that connects the loop back together. OP is shortening a loop. So, he needs to knock out one or more drive links and then reconnect, thus reducing the number of drive links. I usually mark this link with some paint, especially if the number of drive links in the loop is divisible by 4. If so, that means on a typical chain, the number of left cutters equals the number of right cutters. So, when sharpening the chain, the marked link is a pivot point as you are going around.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Master link is probably a misnomer since they can't be open and closed repeatedly like one on roller chain but I'm pretty sure everyone understood what was being referred to. In fact, if done properly, a repair link on a chain should be nearly impossible to locate. (ie, it should look like all the other links)
When I sharpen chains I just color a tooth with a sharpie. It wears off with use so it's also a way I can tell easily if a chain has already received attention.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There were 1000's of packets of all sizes of the presets and tie straps that got dumped every year at Stihl back when we / I cut loops from the 100' rolls of chain , always ended up with extras that kept accumulating .
Most popular size loops are sent pre cut and packaged now from the chain factory but they still cut odd sizes for dealers at the CDN warehouse .
If I was there now I would have gladly grabbed some for all in need .

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want to get really fussy, a lot of the newer chains have different presets and tie straps for the Right and Left sides, for low vibe chain, for some reduced kickback chains, for Narrow Kerf chains, . . . Ask a STIHL dealer to see all the different types in their catalog!

Oregon catalog page attached.

If I needed to, I might use a different brand of preset and tie strap, if it was in good condition, and if it fit, *for my own use. If I was a dealer, I would at least use the same brand parts, just so that I did not have to even think about some lawyer, someday, or some company rep . . . .

If I am paying a dealer to repair my chain (or really anything), I really want him to use the right parts.

Used preset rivets generally get ground/filed down when removing, or lose a ring of material when punched out. Just not as much material left to peen over or spin.

Used Presets.jpg

Philbert

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-03-26 at 7.48.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-03-26 at 7.48.09 PM.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Master link is probably a misnomer since they can't be open and closed repeatedly like one on roller chain, but I'm pretty sure everyone understood what was being referred to. In fact, if done properly, a repair link on a chain should be nearly impossible to locate. (i.e., it should look like all the other links)

When I sharpen chains I just color a tooth with a sharpie. It wears off with use so it's also a way I can tell easily if a chain has already received attention.
Perhaps a better term than master link might be connecting link. The idea is to connect the ends of a chain together to form a loop. We need to keep things simple.

When I was a teenager making bicycle chain loops, we called them master links. We weren't repairing anything; we were making chain loops for the bike so that we could deliver newspapers and make some money.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a terminology thing, like calling a guide bar a 'blade', or a depth gauge a 'raker', or anything else a 'thingy'; there are technical differences, but the key thing is if people understand what you are talking about.

Master links in conventional bicycle chains are specific locations for breaking and forming a loop. Some master links can be installed and removed an unlimited number of times; some bike chains can be broken and reformed at any location, by pressing out any rivet, then pressing it back in. On some newer, thinner, bicycle chains, *however*, the master links are single use, and need to be replaced once removed.

Screen shot 2017-03-27 at 6.21.35 PM.png Screen shot 2017-03-27 at 6.21.59 PM.png
Saw chain loops can be broken at any location, not just at the link that is painted or marked. I could see someone referring to a matched tie strap and preset pair as a 'master link' which is required to form a loop. However, as noted above, they are intended for a single installation.

Pre-set Tie-strap Rivet.png

Philbert

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
we did a few here....well let me correct that, tried to do a few stihl chains with oregon/carlton tie straps. Didnt work as the rivets are larger diameter on the chain we tried to repair. not sure if they are all like that though

Hey I'm with F150 on the Stihl chain concern. I, too, tried to repair a Stihl chain with Oregon links. The pivot hole in the Stihl drive link is a larger diameter than on an Oregon drive link. The Stihl rivets are larger to match. So, say, if you tried to repair an Oregon chain with a Stihl preset....it would not fit. The Oregon preset will fit....but is loose and sloppy. I would NOT do it as I would expect that, very shortly, that smaller rivet would eat its way through the thin drive link wall on that Stihl chain and result in a broken chain.....which could injure the saw operator or bystanders. Not good!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
STIHL Presets

Recently had to buy one preset (.325, .063) to resize a STIHL chain for a friend. $1.50. Seemed like a lot, but . . . A week or so later I got a batch of similar loops to spin down from 81 to 74 drive links. Same STIHL dealer.

I asked about buying in quantity (they used to sell in bags of 10, as I recalled). $3.99 for a bag 8 presets and 8 ties straps.

Not a lot of complicated math, but neither of us was sure if it was a pricing mistake from the distributor, or just an unreasonably good price for a STIHL product. Just to be sure, I ordered several bags.

Figured guys reading this thread might like to know.

Philbert

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never actually bought any Stihl links ."Rocky J" in Florida sent me a couple of bags though .A majority of my Stihl brand chains are salvaged from the tool boxes of my buddy's tool bins on his bucket truck
.I repair them ,lengthen,shorten . All I have in them is my time .
I manage to screw up my own chains too .Rocks,metal! I hang it on a nail and wait until I get 6-8 a dozen,get out my spinner and fix them all in one fell swoop .It's been a long time since I bought any chain

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a look at my reused preset on my bikesaw's 33RS practice chain. The link on top of the sprocket
It's a old chain as there's no C stamp on the cutters. Practiced with it for years.

To make that loop I broke the chain off the roll with a punch and anvil and reused the link by peening over with a hammer what was left of the rivet.

Got the depth gauges at .050" running on a small diameter high torque 11 tooth sprocket, and never once did that link come apart.
And guys are worried about it breaking on a saw with 1/10th the h.p. as mine:D

20181023_094338.jpg

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gets harder on smaller chain.
Here's a 20LP .325 I ran on my 562XP-18". Not much left for a rivet head but still held strong.
20181023_104105.jpg

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just re use the preset and tie strap and go on with my day. I have done it many times.
I'm guilty of that too.
If you're careful to not mangle the tie strap and pre-set when you punch it out, there's usually enough material to spin back down.
I have run into a couple that were not usable, but most are.

Homelite410

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somewhere floating around is an Oregon chain that was lengthened with some RS and it worked fine. When I made it I chuckled to myself about what the purists would say.
I'm guilty of that too.
If you're careful to not mangle the tie strap and pre-set when you punch it out, there's usually enough material to spin back down.
I have run into a couple that were not usable, but most are.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . what the purists would say.
'Infidel'!

Some other brands of pre-sets fit some STIHL chains. Some don't. Even some Oregon presets don't fit either Oregon chains of the same pitch.

Philbert