Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon LGX (mildly used) vs custom made Full House Oregon EXL (new)

Smaller diameter turkey oak log
LGX

Full House EXL

Larger diameter turkey oak log
LGX

Full House EXL

Yes, chip clearance is an issue - but NO, I do not consider this chain a failure.

Please keep in mind that this custom made Full House EXL chain was never intended for everyday cutting!
This is a play chain and conversation starter!

I believe this "special" chain can be altered to perform better, this is just ground zero, the starting point.

Good to hear, that it will clear a decent sized chip. So was it worth the wait.
A firm YES, it was worth the wait.
I love this chain, it is something special!
I am already brainstorming about how to make it perform at least a little better.
Thank You for all the work making it for me Jason! :)

Cheers :beer-toast1:

Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score

LGX

Full House EXL

LGX

Full House EXL

Yes, chip clearance is an issue - but NO, I do not consider this chain a failure.

Please keep in mind that this custom made Full House EXL chain was never intended for everyday cutting!

I believe this "special" chain can be altered to perform better, this is just ground zero, the starting point.

I am already brainstorming about how to make it perform at least a little better.

I am quite surprised at the results here. I would have expected the full house chain to be a bit quicker than the LGX, not the opposite.

Awesome vids! Thanks for opening my eyes. Also REALLY looking forward to what you do to the chain and results.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

LGX

Full House EXL

LGX

Full House EXL

Thanks for the vids. Is the full house smoother?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am quite surprised at the results here. I would have expected the full house chain to be a bit quicker than the LGX, not the opposite.

Awesome vids! Thanks for opening my eyes. Also REALLY looking forward to what you do to the chain and results.
I made a partial cut hitting the saws kill switch WOT mid cut and broke the partial cookie off.
The Full House EXL is slower and more rougher cutting due to two reasons:
1) insufficient chip clearance, it plugs the space between the cutter and pulls the PH down
2) related to "1" , the chips exit the cutters heel causing the raker of the tooth behind it to "ride" on the chips and pulling the cutter out of the wood, this causes the PH to start racing without pulling chips

Like any play chain this one was bound to show some issues, and like any play chain it will be made to perform better.

The Full House EXL sure bore cuts better than the standard LGX, very smooth boring entry without any chatter whatsoever.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the vids. Is the full house smoother?
For bore cutting - a lot!

For bucking regular logs, not so much as one can see in my videos.

I do point out that turkey oak is very dense, and I am also quite certain it is currently frozen.
Unfortunately I have no other logs/wood at my disposal to further test this chain in.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For bore cutting - a lot!

For bucking regular logs, not so much as one can see in my videos.

I do point out that turkey oak is very dense, and I am also quite certain it is currently frozen.
Unfortunately I have no other logs/wood at my disposal to further test this chain in.

I did notice it bore cut faster and much smoother.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am quite surprised at the results here. I would have expected the full house chain to be a bit quicker than the LGX . . .

If you think about circular saw blades, used in construction/ carpentry, 12 tooth blades are used for fast, rough, framing cuts, while 60 - 80 tooth blades are used for fine, finish work.

I would expect the same with chains.

Philbert

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you think about circular saw blades, used in construction/ carpentry, 12 tooth blades are used for fast, rough, framing cuts, while 60 - 80 tooth blades are used for fine, finish work.

Philbert

Except he stated and it clearly showed in the video that the LGX was a smoother cut and was smoother on the cookies. To me that is counterintuitive.

(I am a classicly trained cabinet maker and custom furniture maker, wo the reference makes perfect sense and rings true to me)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
I think higher rakers would remedy some of the chip clearing issues.
That means filing/grinding the teeth back.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Except he stated and it clearly showed in the video that the LGX was a smoother cut and was smoother on the cookies. To me that is counterintuitive.

(I am a classicly trained cabinet maker and custom furniture maker, wo the reference makes perfect sense and rings true to me)
Raker hight on the Full House EXL is identical to the rakers on the LGX.
To make a smoother cut the FH-EXL needs less aggressive rakers - I think.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rakers on the Full House EXL are identical to the rakers on the LGX.
To make a smoother cut the FH-EXL needs less aggressive rakers - I think.

Let me ask you this; would a higher chain speed help with the full house chain?

I could tell the saw definitely lugged noticeably more with the full house vs the full comp. in your OPINION is this due to chips clogging and slowing down the chain or the number of teeth trying to eat?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me ask you this; would a higher chain speed help with the full house chain?

I could tell the saw definitely lugged noticeably more with the full house vs the full comp. in your OPINION is this due to chips clogging and slowing down the chain or the number of teeth trying to eat?
Higher rakers is what this chain needs to keep up in cut chain speed.

The PH pull down was certainly not caused by the number of teeth, surprisingly - it was caused by the chips wedging the chain, see attached picture and notice the large amount of compressed chips on the side of the cut.
P1050160.JPG

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Higher rakers is what this chain needs to keep up in cut chain speed.

The PH pull down was certainly not caused by the number of teeth, surprisingly - it was caused by the chips wedging the chain, see attached picture and notice the large amount of compressed chips on the side of the cut.
View attachment 159221

You aren’t kidding! And looking closely it almost looks like the majority of those chips were cut more than once. Initially cut by cutter and sucked into another cutter atleast once. The smaller/finer chips seem to match the larger pieces.

That’s interesting, especially sincethe EXL has a relatively large gullet that I would have thought would provide enough room for the chip to ride out.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You aren’t kidding! And looking closely it almost looks like the majority of those chips were cut more than once. Initially cut by cutter and sucked into another cutter atleast once. The smaller/finer chips seem to match the larger pieces.

That’s interesting, especially sincethe EXL has a relatively large gullet that I would have thought would provide enough room for the chip to ride out.
The chips exited one tooth's heel just to interfere with the next tooth's raker.
There is literally very little room for chips on this tooth sequence.

More pictures to follow once I am back on my desktop PC.

I think this loop is doing a good job being a conversation starter. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl RS and Oregon EXL are very similar in hardness of metal used in the cutters.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bore cutting is excellent from what I see in the video. Cut better than I thought it would.What if you filed the the rakers down behind the main cutter teeth. Like file the raker on every other tooth. It may help with chip clearance coming from the tooth in front and help to keep the chips from clogging up. I also think it would still cut strait. I am very interested to see what you come up with. Make me want to build my own to play with. Glad you like. Offspring was born yesterday evening. All are well

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to add, the out of the box angles are total crap. All my cutter teeth were 21-23 degrees.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bore cutting is excellent from what I see in the video. Cut better than I thought it would.What if you filed the the rakers down behind the main cutter teeth. Like file the raker on every other tooth. It may help with chip clearance coming from the tooth in front and help to keep the chips from clogging up. I also think it would still cut strait. I am very interested to see what you come up with. Make me want to build my own to play with. Glad you like. Offspring was born yesterday evening. All are well
No rush on modifying the FH-EXL, it won't spoil nor go anywhere.

Congratulations , good health and a long life to the child. :)
May the father spoil the child with Dolmar saws, after all the early bird gets the worm. ;)